Paddock System in Permanent Run?

Wow! Am I reading that right? Do you mean to say that the successful experiments had roughly 100 sq ft per bird?

Also, great point on the HC for a roof. What material would you recommend up there?
That was an exaggerated guesstimate...but it was a lot.
can't remember the numbers tho, probably 10x the 'rule of thumb'.

Not sure what to recommend, covering large areas difficult in snow country.
Sounds like Ralphie has a viable setup.

Another alternative is to have one pen serve as the main one and have restricted access to the others, to allow the vegetation more time to recover. I have 4 birds with a main run and a second run with garden beds, about 500 sq ft total. The only reason I have any grass at all is because I restrict access to the second run. I open the gate between the two runs for a couple hours a day as long as it's not too wet (wet ground gets torn up far faster).

This is an interesting idea. So basically the second run is like a protected "pasture". You say 500 sq ft total, how is that split between the two runs?

How does that hold up to the snow?
How do you support it?
Pics after a 12" fall?

I also wonder about the weight of the snow with netting. From what I have read, tarps are a pain because they don't hold up. I am thinking perhaps kennel tarps/flys might be the way to go or just bite the bullet and do some time of metal or clear plastic corrugate on part of the run that I want them to be able to access in the winter.

I also wonder about the weight of the snow with netting. From what I have read, tarps are a pain because they don't hold up. I am thinking perhaps kennel tarps/flys might be the way to go or just bite the bullet and do some time of metal or clear plastic corrugate on part of the run that I want them to be able to access in the winter.

The snow falls through my netting. The netting stretches a lot so I can just go out and shake the netting and knock the snow off.

I knock snow off from underneath my 14ga 2x4 mesh run roof with the snow shovel,
if it doesn't fall thru.
Ditto hat/hood and coat zipped up tight to neck.
And I keep a path shoveled all the way thru the middle, throwing most of it thru the run walls. Helps for access to keep roof clear, place for birds to roam and quicker ground clearing in snow melt season.
full

Back
Top Bottom