Painless exit method?

specklesmom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Texas
We are going to be away from home for five weeks and our very kind neighbor will be keeping our chickens supplied with food and water. The heat here will continue to be very miserable but we have done the best we can to provide shade and ventilation for the hens. They will be confined to "safe" runs while we are gone because predators are definitely an issue here. One of our oldest hens has a history of attacking others when in a more confined area. We have a fairly protected play area all the hens have been allowed to access most days, but this won't be available while we are gone....thus my concerns that the "attack chicken" will hurt others. She previously did serious damage to the beaks of two hens who are just now recovering after weeks of care. This damage was done when Baby (attack chicken) was in a smaller enclosure with 3 other hens. Since that issue we have the entire flock of 8 in a larger area, but, without access to the daily play area while we are gone, I believe it is very likely Baby will cause problems again. She has not been a happy camper for some time; at an early age she stopped laying eggs and seemed to decide she was a rooster. She somehow injured one of her legs a couple of years ago but gets around alright. I think it would be best for the entire flock to speed up Baby's trip to the next world but I don't want her to suffer. I know chopping her head off or wringing her neck is supposed to be painless but there is no way I could do that. I'm wondering if I could send her to dreamland painlessly by giving her some xanax so she would just go to sleep.. Are there other drugs I might be able to obtain that would just send her peacefully to a sleep she would not wake up from? I'm checking with local humane animal shelters to see if I can locate one that would accept a chicken.....I know this sounds extreme but she really ripped up two of the other hens before and I've seen aggressive behavior from her since....just not as bloody. Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

We are going to be away from home for five weeks and our very kind neighbor will be keeping our chickens supplied with food and water. The heat here will continue to be very miserable but we have done the best we can to provide shade and ventilation for the hens. They will be confined to "safe" runs while we are gone because predators are definitely an issue here. One of our oldest hens has a history of attacking others when in a more confined area. We have a fairly protected play area all the hens have been allowed to access most days, but this won't be available while we are gone....thus my concerns that the "attack chicken" will hurt others. She previously did serious damage to the beaks of two hens who are just now recovering after weeks of care. This damage was done when Baby (attack chicken) was in a smaller enclosure with 3 other hens. Since that issue we have the entire flock of 8 in a larger area, but, without access to the daily play area while we are gone, I believe it is very likely Baby will cause problems again. She has not been a happy camper for some time; at an early age she stopped laying eggs and seemed to decide she was a rooster. She somehow injured one of her legs a couple of years ago but gets around alright. I think it would be best for the entire flock to speed up Baby's trip to the next world but I don't want her to suffer. I know chopping her head off or wringing her neck is supposed to be painless but there is no way I could do that. I'm wondering if I could send her to dreamland painlessly by giving her some xanax so she would just go to sleep.. Are there other drugs I might be able to obtain that would just send her peacefully to a sleep she would not wake up from? I'm checking with local humane animal shelters to see if I can locate one that would accept a chicken.....I know this sounds extreme but she really ripped up two of the other hens before and I've seen aggressive behavior from her since....just not as bloody. Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
The broomstick method is a good one - quick and painless, and if you do it right bloodless. Also, CO2 can be used if you research and do it safely.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/co2-euthanasia.1545966/

I think sending this hen to the coop in the sky is the right choice, based on what you've shared.

Thanks for the information about CO 2 and how to set it up. I'm also reading about using ether from starter fluid......just going to sleep peacefully is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for the information about CO 2 and how to set it up. I'm also reading about using ether from starter fluid......just going to sleep peacefully is exactly what I'm hoping for.
I've heard ether can be a poor choice. But I forget the details. You can search either term on this site and see what folks' experiences have been.

Just as an update: We could not bring ourselves to kill Baby, Instead we decided to try to modify her beak in hopes she would be less lethal. We used one of those grinder type things that is supposed to remove dead skin from your feet. While my husband held Baby I smoothed out the tip of her beak just enough so that it was rounded instead of a sharp point. It didn't seem to hurt her at all and none of the other girls got ripped while we were gone.

Have you thought of just giving her away? Does she lay eggs? I have given people chickens to start new flocks, and extra roosters have gone to a friend who butchers chickens. Lastly, you could always keep the little troublemaker in a dog crate or pen with food and water.

edited to say, that is good that she may be stopped from pecking. Pinless peepers are a good thing that some use on bullies. There is info online by googling that.

Back
Top Bottom