Paint question

lovinlife

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Deep in the heart of Texas
I've seen coops with the inside painted. Is there a danger of the chickens ingesting the paint and getting sick?

I live in the south where flies are an issue in the summer. I've heard that painting the inside of a horse/cow run-in shed dark will reduce the flies in the enclosure. Has anyone experienced a reduced fly population when the inside of the coop is painted a dark color as opposed to white?

What is your experience with painting the inside of your coop? Color?

Thanks!

Thought about it myself... figured that if you get the super shine stuff then it's poda be able to be wiped off (great for bathrooms, esp with kids)... but in the end I was too lazy and cheap to do it.

Very interested to see other folk's answer though.
pop.gif

Ours is white on the inside. We don't have a problem with flies in the the coop, though. The windows have screen over them, as well as hardware cloth, that may be why. The mosquitoes can be really bad here, that's why we stapled screen over the windows.

We put those disposable traps out on the property if we notice flies around. They're stinky if you're standing close to them, but effective. We just don't put them next to the house.

My coop not my tractor yes, lol. My understanding is that laytex paint is toxic as long as it's wet but once it's dry it won't hurt your chickens. I had 2 chickens stick their heads in a bucket of laytex paint. Came up spitting paint but were perfectly fine. They did have bright pink on their feathers for weeks though.

Make sure to use a primer on bare wood.

My newer coop is painted white on the inside, as will be the coop still under construction. I've never really noticed flies as long as the coop is kept relatively clean. I also use DE or Stall Dry in my shavings, which keeps things dry (and keeps the bugs down)

Quote:
Nope, not as long as the paint and wood are sound (and if they aren't you should be fixing them for OTHER reasons anyhow)... plus which most paints these days are fairly nontoxic once dry.

Pat

Chickens don't chew on wood the way parrots do, so as long as there aren't gloppy paint drips or peeling paint that might attract pecks, a painted surface is fine. As others have noted, there is a respiratory risk from the paint fumes, but when the paint is completely dry and there's no remaining odor, that's not a problem either.

Thanks for your responses. I think paint will help preserve the wood, so I'd like to paint. I've had parrots before and know they chew, so I'm glad that chickens don't do the same thing.
smile.png
That was my original concern.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom