Paint Question

Carols Clucks

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
If you received some wooden fencing that was painted in a gloss paint a long time ago.

After cleaning off the fencing, scraping off anything loose and priming it.

Is it better to repaint with white flat house paint or with white stain?

That stain is for wood that doesn't have any paint or varnish on it. The way that stain works is it soaks into the wood to leave the tinted pigments. It would be a waste of your time and money to use it. One of my trekked tried to do the same thing and it didn't work good at all. Better off using good exterior latex house paint. You don't want to use oil based paints do to the fumes that they give off over time. Hope this helps.

I have plenty of the house paint, this is for picket fence, but the rest of the new pickets are in stain. Would be easier to have everything in the same coating. But, if it is going to fail, not point in using the stain and it is cheaper to use the paint.

thanks for the help

Last edited:
What about barn & fence paint? That is what I use and it does fine.

That is basically what that stain is, for siding, fences etc. It is more $$ than the paint and since we will have 80% of the fencing in it because that is what I used on the new installed pickets, I was wondering if it would work over the old gloss paint after the surface is prepped. The gloss is probably about 10 years since it was painted and has taken a lot of weather already

I'm not sure where you live, but I only pay $12 a gallon/$50 for 5 gallons of the barn & fence paint.

I would take 2 pickets, prep them well, prime them, and re-paint. If you do that well & paint when the temps & humidity are good, you shouldn't have a problem. Sometimes it is all in the trial and error.

Good luck. Can you post a picture or two when finished? Would love to see the finished product :)

I'm not sure where you live, but I only pay $12 a gallon/$50 for 5 gallons of the barn & fence paint.
I would take 2 pickets, prep them well, prime them, and re-paint. If you do that well & paint when the temps & humidity are good, you shouldn't have a problem. Sometimes it is all in the trial and error.
Good luck. Can you post a picture or two when finished? Would love to see the finished product
smile.png

The HD Behr stain is $33+tax and the paint $26, per gallon. We did use a cheaper stain the first time, but it did not seem to resist a lot of the staining and gunk dropped from a tree in the front yard well and HD has stopped carrying that one.

Back
Top Bottom