Paint

Chickenma65

Chirping
Aug 23, 2019
what is the best paint to use for inside the chicken coop? It is so dusty and full of poop on the walls. It’s been hard cleaning the walls because the paint I used is coming off while I clean. I used a white barn paint. Is there a water resistant paint that would be good?

Paint that holds up to 'cleaning' is more about properly prepping the surface before painting than the paint itself.

I hit the dust with the shop vac once or twice a year.

Poop on the walls can be managed by where your roosts are.
Can you post some pics of your coop, inside and out?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Chickenma65
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-24_9-17-16.png

Here is the inside of the coop.

Attachments

• FEA7A494-2AC6-4019-8E7E-B3B3FB1B238D.jpeg
    FEA7A494-2AC6-4019-8E7E-B3B3FB1B238D.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 16
  • EC6AFCBE-D07D-4D9F-B165-A539EBED3ACD.jpeg
    EC6AFCBE-D07D-4D9F-B165-A539EBED3ACD.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 16
Paint that holds up to 'cleaning' is more about properly prepping the surface before painting than the paint itself.

View attachment 1887284
Here is the inside of my coop.

View attachment 1887284

Attachments

• 23FF11B3-31F0-4C50-8639-92D0B315511D.jpeg
    23FF11B3-31F0-4C50-8639-92D0B315511D.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 501D081B-39FC-42EA-AE22-90586659475F.jpeg
    501D081B-39FC-42EA-AE22-90586659475F.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 13
Here is the inside of the coop.
I don't see any peeling paint....and those roosts are far enough from the walls that poop shouldn't hit them.
But I'm not a painter or much of a 'cleaner'.
Poop happens, can't get it all removed.
full

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Waterproofing wood stain is better than paint. Paint sits on the surface of the wood and eventually chips and flakes off. Then you need to scrape it off to repaint properly, which is more work and more mess. The stain, on the other hand, penetrates into the wood and offers better protection. Also, to reapply, you don't need to scrape anything off - you just apply the new stain right on top of the old layer. It lasts longer, too - 25 years if used on fences and 10 years on decks. BEHR makes waterproofing stains that come in solid colors, too, not just semi-opaque "wood colored" colors like stains usually come in. Just make sure you paint it on thin and rub it into the wood so it gets absorbed instead of pooling on the surface. If it's too thick, it will chip like paint.

In your case, since you already have paint on there, you'll need to remove the paint first so the stain can penetrate into the wood. If that sounds like more work than you want to put in, you can keep adding layers of exterior grade paint to the already painted surfaces, and try the waterproofing stain on any unpainted surfaces or new additions.

Back
Top Bottom