paint?

I painted my floor. Just did it last summer, so can't tell you how long it will last. But it made the WORLD of difference at cleaning time. I kept my shavings tossed all winter and when it was time to clean out the coop, I simply broomed it all out and wiped everything down. The poo came right off because of the paint. No scraping necessary.

I highly recommend paint on the floor. PRIME FIRST and put several coats down. I used semi-gloss exterior paint so that it could better withstand high temperature fluxuations.

By all means paint a plywood coop floor (even if you're going to put down sheet vinyl, IMO - *some* moisture will still get under there, I guarantee). It will last longer vs rot when you have unsuspected damp spots under the bedding, and in places where the chickens kick away bedding to expose floor, it is ever so much easier to get trompled poo off *painted* wood than naked wood.

Make sure to prime first, and then apply several THIN coats of (preferably exterior semigloss) paint, not fewer thicker coats. Thicker coats start peeling pretty soon; multiple thin coats last.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Someone suggested to me to use deck paint. Do you still need to prime beneath deck paint? Does it work better, just as good, or not so well as exterior semi-gloss?

I painted the OSB flooring in the coop I just built before the vinyl flooring went down. I just has to help. Went to the local Home Depot. They had custom mixed paint that people didn't want. Got it for $5 per gallon. I spent a total of $15 to paint the whole inside of the coop.

My preference was for (acrylic, water based) semi-gloss exterior on the inside of the coop. I primed and painted before I put down the vinyl flooring but only because I was doing the rest of the interior anyway.
I have hosed it out a couple of times and the poo comes off fine.

High Gloss would be easy to clean also, but if you ever want to paint over it, it would require a light sanding in addition to priming and painting. Otherwise it will chip the replacement coat easier.

What ever you choose, don't leave it unfinished plywood. With moisture it will warp or splinter over time.

Last edited:
Definitely paint. My paint job for my Constant use indoor cage has lasted 4 years--maybe needs to have a recoat now.

Check ALL hardware stores for Mistint, $5/can paint. Best time is on Monday, because of the weekend shopping.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom