Painting dog kennel runs?

sponytales

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
S.E. Texas
I will be using the welded wire dog kennel pannels for my chicken turn out pen. I hate the bright shiny metal and was wondering if anyone has tried painting it.

I use the same thing and I don't have any issue with it. Sounds like a long tedious job trying to paint all those tiny little places. You sure you want to do that?

I'm not trying to be negative or talk you out of painting it. I am just thinking about times when I started painting something and sooooo wish I had not, LOL.

If you didn't want to paint the panels then you could always buy some inexpensive lattice panels and spray them (or you could buy the vinyl ones) and find something viney (light and okay for chickens) to climb up it!
wink.png

Yes I have already bought the pannels and I did see the powder coated ones but they were about $100 more. much heavier, but sure looked nice. I have not assembled the pannels yet, will check into what kinds of paint would adhear well, sure would look unsightly if it started peeling off! Still thinking...
smile.png

Quote:
So true very expensive, and I think the coating attracts cars. I have a neighbor with the black coated chainlink fence. Looks beautiful, but has been hit by cars at least twice a year for the last 3-4 years. It's on the ground more than it's up.
th.gif

mom... has a good idea if you are into that. I have lots of chainlink and lots of vines covering it. Most vines are aggressive, so they can be a bit of work. Good luck, post pix when done.

Imp

We used outdoor/rust proof spray (I think Rustoleum) paint on a metal swing set, big link rusted (see the chain below - it's teal now) chain and some of the dog kennel. It comes in many colors and is NOT chipping.

33644_picture_206.jpg

Thanks Guys for the input on painting the run. I had thought about planting a running vine, but I want full view of my chickens from my back patio. If I start the paint job, I know it will take awhile, the view would be so much better if it was a dark color.
I will post pics if I do the painting.

I'm actually planning to spray my chain link fence run (this fall either black or dark green). I do have a compressor so I'll just buy a spray set and use the appropriate paint (backed by disposable drop cloths so it doesn't go all over the run). I think it will look better (though it doesn't look bad now). I don't see why you can't paint yours any color you would like. If you don't have a compressor/paint sprayer I'm sure you could rent one for next to nothing which will certainly cut down on your work time :)

Back
Top Bottom