1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Painting interior of particle board coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GimmeCake, Sep 24, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I've decided to go with particle board for this coop for various reasons. The thing though is I'm having troubles trying to figure out what I need.

I've heard you shouldn't use oil paints or polyurethane in coops.
    I've also heard you shouldn't use latex paints on particle board because it'll cause it to chip and you should use polyurethane (or something like it) to properly seal it.

So, what should I do? I don't want to harm my chickens. Also, I want to paint it to help prevent formaldehyde from coming inside the coop from the plywood (it can leak outside through the siding, but II don't want it inside).

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Can I ask why you went with particle board? Have you bought it yet?

3. GimmeCake

May 8, 2013
    I haven't. But the reason why I want it is because it's cheaper then plywood, and roughly the same thing.

4. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    I'm no building expert, but I think you'll be better off not going with particle board, but going with something stronger. My only experience with particle board is in those do-it-yourself bookshelves from college days, and they were poorly built, not sturdy, and if they got wet they were ruined.

5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Today, all sheathing, whether plywood, OSB, particle board, etc, have glues containing formaldehyde and other nasty carcinogens. That is one reason we went with eastern yellow pine boards that we got from a local sawmill. They were cut right from the logs...and in the long run, cheaper.

6. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Quote:Not necessarily true, particle board is made from saw dust / wood shavings (I believe) and plywood is made from compressed veneer. I agree with using pine boards or planks, its a good bet. IMHO partial board is not a good option, it will swell and break apart with any moisture. Like txnative said, it is generally used for interior (cheep) furniture and cabinets. I don't think your could seal it well enough to ensure that moisture would not get to it and any paint will just chip off. If cost is your concern, decking boards (not treated, and then stained or painted) or some kind of solid would plank should be close in cost per sqft. Not to mention, a little extra up front will save you down the road. You could also consider putting in a bit of work up front and using pallet wood, for free .

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    Every time I use particle board for something I regret it. You will, too.

You'll be nailing it to 2x4's, won't you? Get 4x8' sheets of T1-11 siding. $18-30 or so depending on thickness, treated, etc. At Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

8. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree, T1-100 is another sound alternative and is (for the most part) made for out buildings and siding. You would also not need to paint the interior of the coop, saving a few extra dollars in paint or stain.

9. GimmeCake

May 8, 2013
    Well, will a thick plywood work? I can't get solid wood due to how much I have to spend.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The siding they recommended IS plywood, RATED for outdoor use
    Paint it with a GOOD oil based enamel and it will last many years.

Don't try to "cheap out" now, and just end up having to redo it later

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by