painting question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sheeshshe, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    HI!

I started priming the coop and then it was calling for rain so I stopped a few days before the rain. how long do I have to wait before I paint over the primer? Do I have to wait for X amt of sunny days before I paint over the primer?

I have to prime the run now, but I'll wait a few days of sun before priming it.

thank you!

2. flopshot

flopshot Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    depends on the primer. the can should say how long before top coats should be applied.

3. serendip

serendip In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    I know Kilz primer is dry to the touch in 30 min. and ready for painting in about an hour (depending on temp. and humidity).

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Most primers I've used are ok to paint over in an hour or a couple hours, but just look at what the bucket you used says. If it's been a couple days then *certainly* it's ok to paint.

Have fun,

Pat

5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    its not a matter of how long the primer dries...... I want to know because since its rained if I have to wait x amt of days before I put paint on the primer... does that make sense? since I have to wait x amt of days after rain to prime the wood, does it work the same way with the paint going on primer? do I have to wait x amt of days after rain to paint the prime?

6. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    No, you can paint at any time, the primer will block enough of the moisture for you to put paint on.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, sorry, I misunderstood [​IMG] As lot as the primed surface is thoroughly dry to the touch I know of no reason not to go ahead and paint right away. The primer has basically sealed the wood, you don'thave to worry about absorbed moisture the way you do before putting that initial coat (of primer) on.

Have fun,

Pat

8. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    THANK YOU!!! I was hoping this was the case but I didn't want to mess it up. [​IMG] yippie! I can get back to painting! as long as it doesn't rain again, although they are saying tomorrow (what a gloomy cloudy rainy gloomy week)..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: