Painting the coop

mommy2pnutty

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Has anyone painted the inside of their coop? I'm planning on treating the outside and painting it also. My husband thinks its a good idea to paint the inside with a primer and paint. He thinks it will help the wood last. Has anyone else done this? What paints would you suggest to treat the inside of the coop?

thanks!

My hens have painted the inside of mine. But only on the side where they roost!
tongue.png

orjnfq.gif

I have primed and painted two coats of exterior paint to the inside of my coop that I'm in the process of building. I painted it so when I clean it out and it is really nasty I can use a water hose and not hurt the wood.

I'm in the process of building my hen house and it is at the painting stage - we'll paint both outside and the inside with exterior paint.

Quote:
I totally agree! I have just built a new coop and wish I had painted the inside first. Now just to paint it I have a huge chicken dust and poop mess to clean up. And It will preserve the wood.

This forum is the BEST thing! My questions are answered before I even ask them! I can't find any cheap vinyl floor but don't want to just leave the plywood floor of my coop-to-be unfinished. Now I know what to do.

Thanks everyone! I think I might go with laminate flooring on the sides and floor, And paint the hen house and perches. I saw a pic yesterday of a coop that was lined with laminate flooring, and it looked really nice and must be easier to clean. I have a very small coop, so it will be cheap too do.

One of the coop-builders in the coop site, can't remember which one, advised on the basis of their experience NOT to use stick on squares of vinyl etc. flooring as the chickens managed to scratch up the edges and destroy it fairly quickly. Love getting advice like that BEFORE I have to find it out for myself the hard way!

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Nostalchic! I'll look at other options besides the stick on kind. Knowing my husband though, it will be reinforced with nails, glue, and any other item he can manage to get his hands on. I purchased a pre-fab coop on ebay and he is using wood glue and extra nails everywhere he can! Its too funny, expecially since he wanted nothing to do with my chickens in the first place, lol.

Back
Top Bottom