Painting the coop

I wasn't really sure how much I was going to need to do for winter. I was thinking of making triangles about the size of the opening with brackets like the back of a picture frame but if temperature isn't an issue than I'll just save it for rain cover. There's 1 ft of overhang but the storms we've had recently I know would blow it right in. The baby coop I'd draped a towel over vents the rain would blow in but I don't like it too much since big gusts of wind blow it up over the top sometimes, I need something that will stay put.

Wow. You must get some serious winds to blow rain in with a foot of overhang.

Where, in general, are you located? (You can put it in your profile so people can give more targeted advice).

Southern AZ, monsoons have some wild winds but about 2 weeks ago we had a tornado warning. Was a first for me but no tornado thankfully, the wind ripped the latch off my back gate and split the 4×4 it was mounted to, made a mess of the yard but no other damage. Several of the other storms I'd be standing under the car port about 15ish feet back from the eave and the rain was splashing my face. We're on the edge of town, out my front door is open desert so we get the brunt of the wind when storms come through. We had no rain last year so I think this year is trying to make up for it.

:eek:

That is some incredible wind!

People on the Arizona state thread should be able to help with their knowledge of the local conditions. :)

Keeping your birds cool in the summer will be the big priority.

We found 2 buckets of light tan exterior paint in the oops paint section so I got it originally to paint a picnic bench and whatever miscellaneous projects. I want to paint the outside of the coop but my husband says to leave it plain wood cause the paint will trap heat in. Is this really an issue of paint causing more heat? Im concerned that between the rain and heat here (southern AZ) the boards will warp very quickly and I'd like to preserve it as long as possible. Another question I have is about painting the roosting bars, they are 2×4's and I sanded them to prevent splinters, again my husband says no paint in the coop cause they'll scratch it off and eat it. I like the idea of painting them as with the picnic bench, anything and everything wipes off really easily and since its waterproof, soaking it hasn't caused any warping and I figured it would be great to be able to wipe down the roosting bars as needed if they happen to poop on them. Is he overreacting or am I trying to do too much?
I wanted to paint my chicken coop but my boyfriend said he had a better idea. Although you might not have it, we ended up using used motor oil. I’m sure if you go to a automotive shop they might give you some. It gave our coop a stained wood look and honestly brought the whole thing together. I agree with everyone else using paint on the coop is good but not on the perches!

I wanted to paint my chicken coop but my boyfriend said he had a better idea. Although you might not have it, we ended up using used motor oil. I’m sure if you go to a automotive shop they might give you some. It gave our coop a stained wood look and honestly brought the whole thing together. I agree with everyone else using paint on the coop is good but not on the perches!
My husband says that's similar to the power poles being soaked in creosote to preserve the wood and keep bugs out. The only down side is if you happen it get a splinter they get green pus trying flush out the oils so you need to take extra care to keep it clean cause they can fester very quickly.
I know that this is a traditional means of preserving wood, but it should be noted that this practice is probably illegal in some areas. :)
Idk about it being illegal, your not technically dumping it on the ground or the whole jug in the trash and that's the only specification in disposing used oil. I suppose it's a gray area.

I finally got the roof painted yesterday, the way the paint dried over the tar paper it looks warped and I'm not too thrilled about that but it works for now until I figure something else out. Can tell it's already 10° cooler in there which is great. If it holds up long-term I'll just keep it and redo it as necessary, just wish it had stayed flat is my only complaint for now. I made sure to paint a thick layer under the seams where the paper overlaps and on top to prevent water running under it.
20210810_102345.jpg
20210810_102405.jpg

Illegal in what way?

Hazardous waste disposal and/or environmental protection laws.

My dad used to dispose of his used motor oil by dumping it into ditches and burning it to kill weeds where they couldn't be mowed.

When I was a teen the town made that sort of thing illegal because it could contaminate the watershed.

Yes, paint the coop. Exposed wood, even treated wood, will deteriorate over time if left exposed to the elements. If heat is your concern, paint it a light color or even white to reflect the heat of the sun.

If you leave it unpainted, you're going to have larger and worse issues down the road: rotting wood to replace, bugs that like to burrow into and live in (maybe even eat) the deteriorating wood, and worse, water retention and MORE rot getting into the framing of the coop. Paint it.............

No need to either insulate or cover the triangles for that kind of a winter -- as long as the rain doesn't blow in.

Insulation just attracts rodents by offering them a cozy home.

My winters are just a little colder than yours and my chickens have been healthy and happy in the Little Monitor Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

View attachment 2785672

The canopy overtop is for shade, not rain protection. :)
I wasn't really sure how much I was going to need to do for winter. I was thinking of making triangles about the size of the opening with brackets like the back of a picture frame but if temperature isn't an issue than I'll just save it for rain cover. There's 1 ft of overhang but the storms we've had recently I know would blow it right in. The baby coop I'd draped a towel over vents the rain would blow in but I don't like it too much since big gusts of wind blow it up over the top sometimes, I need something that will stay put.

I know that this is a traditional means of preserving wood, but it should be noted that this practice is probably illegal in some areas. :)

Back
Top Bottom