Painting the inside..does anyone know if this kind paint can be used?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickChick0811, May 18, 2011.

1. ChickChick0811

ChickChick0811 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I am building my first coop ever and I have decided to place linoleum on the floor for easy clean up. I am doing a deep litter of about 5 inches on top of that. I was just going to put a few layers of regular paint on the inside to help with cleaning. My friend (who owns boats and not chickens) suggested to use a marine paint (boat paint?). It is more waterproof and he says it cleans easily. I am not sure if it could be poisonous to them. Does anyone know anything about this type of paint around chickens?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Any kind of paint will work.
    They won't be eating it

3. ChickChick0811

May 16, 2011
    Thanks! Right now they peck at the walls of their brooder box a lot. I was afraid if they pecked at some peeling they might ingest some if it chips.

4. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I would use any paint that was inexpensive. Marine paint is at least twice the price of regular paint. When you decide, go to whever you get paint and see if they have colors that are already mixed that someone changed their mind on. You'll save a lot of money that way, and you might come up with some wild color that everyone will want.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The mistint pile is a great place to look as is Freecycle and Habitat Restore. A semigloss exterior paint was what I was told to seek and it's working great for me!

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Try and get Semi-gloss paint, it will make it easier to clean in the future. You can even use soap and water on it. I recommend two coats of white...it will make it much brighter in there.

7. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Im using that olds style Tile thats like in alot of School hall ways. These are 12" x 12" tiles with the color all the way through. I am going to put tiles also against the floor but along the bottom of the wall also ( at least (1) tile hieght. I figured one or two tiles along the wall they cant peck much on the wall paint. I will use these tiles cut in half to line boxes under the perch rails and then add the sand to these boxes, so later the cat litter scoop can be used to clean the sand. the total cost for all my tile from Home Depot was around 60 dollars to do 8 x 10 chicken house.

8. ChickChick0811

May 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I found some great self sticking linoleum that looks like a wood floor that I was actually thinking of covering the walls with too. I like the idea of white paint to make it brighter in there though too.

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I was lucky enough to hit my local Habitat store when they had just received several pallets of new (unopened) cans of white paint. Grabbed up six at $5 each and have been using them on our rental houses. Ended up painting the inside of the coop with some. Picture of the "before poop" section of the coop:

[​IMG]

Gail

10. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Marnie paint is wonderful stuff, but more than a little pricey unless you have a cheap source. Any good exterior latex should do the job. Gloss ans Semi-gloss clean better than matte or flat, otherwise it should make no difference. As long as it is not peeling or flaking it should not be an issue with the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by