Pair of male/Female Silkies who don't act like chickens

ChickenNewbie5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
A family member has 2 silkies that she got at a swap last Saturday. It appears these 2 don't know they are chickens. It doesn't even appear she knows how to roost. they are super sweet and are easily handled. My question is, we are going to be taking these 2 home with us. Is it possible to teach these poor things how too be chickens? They stay where ever they are put. They don't venture too far from the house they have (2 feet max) and they aren't mating either.
My hope is too bring them home and just love on them. Is that possible? Will they learn how too roost and scratch and be a chicken. Could I see if the female will foster some baby chicks that are coming this week? Was she caged raised and that is why she seems to know nothing about chicken behaviors?

Thanks
Chandi

That is so sad! The poor babies don't know what it is like to be normal chickens just breaks my heart. People can be so thoughtless. I think with some extra attention you can get these babies where they need to be. Do you have other chickens that they can watch and learn from? Good luck

Theres no evidence (that you've informed us of) that these two have been mistreated. It is NORMAL for Silkies NOT to roost; they sleep huddled up on the floor. If their crests (feathers on top of their heads) are large, their vision is reduced, thus they do not travel far.

Also, it sounds like they've had a couple of different homes in the last few days---NO chicken is going to act completely normal under those circumstances. It takes them a couple of days to "settle in"; know where everything is; become accustomed to the new "voices" that will be taking care of them.

If it is a hen and a roo, mating should occur after they've settled in---if they are sexually mature.

Good luck

Thank you SO MUCH for your information. I"m new to the chicken world
smile.png

Chandi

I agree. I have over 50 silkies and silkie mixed and very few roost at all, and those that do, only about a foot off the floor.

Also, you know silkies do not fly at all, protect them from predators!! Also the fact that they don't see well due to their large crest they can not see predators coming. They are not normal chickens!!

lol.png

Quote:

My daughters fell in love with some silkies. I was going to get silkie chicks this year, but couldn't find a place to only get a few at a time.
So, these 2 will be WELL LOVED. I know they are great Mommies and just so sweet. We are so excited. We do have other chicks (day olds) coming this week too.

I agree with the advice given.

As for not venturing far, maybe their top knots are too large and they can't see. I would suggest either trimming it or pulling it back with a hair band. Mine will pull the head bands off, so I sometimes use a little gel to pull their hair back.

As for nurturing baby chicks, my guess is no, but you never know. You can always watch carefully and put one in with her to see what she does.

I am a newbie to chickens as well, but I bought a few pullets a couple weeks ago that had been raised in a big barn stall, they acted just like yours, they had never been outside, or experienced anything outside that stall. It took them a week and a half or so to do more than just squat in one place all day. Now they are as active and feisty as the ones we bought that had been raised outside. Just think, they had never seen grass, trees, felt wind, rain, etc....it took a little time to adjust but they are fine now.

Back
Top Bottom