Pale colored eggshell with calcium deposits

Mar 6, 2023
I have a small flock of 7. My Wyandottes lay a tan colored egg but my golden (I think) is now laying a white egg with calcium deposits. She is also missing tail feathers. Although there are no signs of bleeding or mites. Her feathers are beginning to come back. I’ve read all about the calcium deposits but not sure if the color change and missing tail feathers would give a clear cause for all of this. Any feedback is appreciated. Also, what’s the best way to give your flock vitamins? I add oregano to their food and they get oyster shells regularly. What else do I need?

Can you post a picture?

If the bird in question is a new layer, she could just be getting her system in gear, so to speak.

Calcium deposits are really common at any age, though. I see them from time to time on my 2 and 3 year old hens.

And,
:welcome

As long as your birds are eating properly formulated feed (i.e. commercially bought feed) you don't need to add vitamins of any sort, unless there's specific issues you're treating for like wry neck.

Oyster shell is for calcium for eggshells, that's all.

As long as your birds are eating properly formulated feed (i.e. commercially bought feed) you don't need to add vitamins of any sort, unless there's specific issues you're treating for like wry neck.

Oyster shell is for calcium for eggshells, that's all.
I see a lot of different egg qualities and based on an egg quality article I am following a lot of causes besides excess calcium are E, B12 and D deficiency. I just had one with wry neck. I started b12 and E drops but it was too late. Not sure how or why this could be I feed commercial feed. I switched to crumble in coop based on some articles. In addition, I throw pellets in run. Always pussling to figure out all the different issues with backyard chickens.
I even get the calcium deposits inside of the eggs when I break them I feed oyster shell on the side, not mixed in, as well as their shells, baked and ground up, not mixed in thrown as scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.png
    IMG_0109.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 5
I just had one with wry neck. I started b12 and E drops but it was too late. Not sure how or why this could be I feed commercial feed.
I *think* there may be a genetic component at play but I could be wrong. I've had a bird with wry neck before, but she had a host of physical problems (deformed feet, deformed wings) from birth.
I even get the calcium deposits inside of the eggs when I break them I feed oyster shell on the side, not mixed in, as well as their shells, baked and ground up, not mixed in thrown as scratch.
Some birds seem prone to calcium issues. The bird who laid these eggs may have issues with the shelling gland which is causing all these glitches. I've noticed that my EEs were more likely to have calcium deposits on eggs but now that they're older the problem seems to have fixed itself without any changes on my end.

Back
Top Bottom