Pale Comb

Renee2020

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Late fall one if my hen (7months old) became broody. She would not leave the laying box - all the signs I read here. It took a couple of weeks to get her back to normal then she started loosing all her neck feathers and her comb was very pale and shrunk. She got better with time but never back to 100 percent. Last week I noticed her comb was very pale and shrunk again. She is eating well but does seem more timid around the other hens. (8 total). Yesterday I checked her vent area for any signs of mites - we live in Virginia and still cold here. But everything look like the other 2 hens I checked to compare. I’ve ordered vitamins and probiotics. I have them on a good feed and give healthy treats and have been giving some eggs to increase protein. All my other hens seem healthy. Any ideas or suggestions I can do to get her back to normal?

There probably isn't anything wrong. Losing feathers in late fall after being broody isn't unusual nor is pale combs and wattles this time of year.
Short days - As they lengthen things may change.
That said, I've had hens that never did develop large red combs but were still healthy and laid well their entire lives.

Thank you for your reply. She normally has bright red waffle. Do yours go from bright red to pale? None of our others have done this so wasn’t sure if this can be normal.

Most chickens will pale when they go out of production. That is normally when day length shortens which causes hormonal changes. It has nothing to do with illness.
Every chicken is different in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom