Pale combed hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxy2320, Oct 17, 2012.

1. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    One of my blue laced red wyandottes came in last night with a really pale comb. We had a few frosty nights last week (I accidentally left the coop side door open, but it wasn't super cold), but it's been warm and off and on rainy since then. Everything looked fine on everyone up until last night, and one of the girls now has a weird pale comb. She's eating, drinking, foraging, and acting otherwise perfectly normal. Is this anything to worry about?
    [​IMG]

2. Put some vasaline on her comb each night on the roost.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect her for lice/mites. If you dont see any and she's eating/drinking normally...I wouldnt worry about it.

4. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    What's the easiest way to inspect for lice or mites? She wouldn't even let me get close enough to take a picture, so I'm not sure that she would let me inspect her!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your going to have to catch her. Then look at her vent area for clusters of lice eggs or lice crawling around. Lice are whitish in color and are fast movers. Mites look like pepper and are slow movers or dont move at all, they are too busy sucking blood. Both lice and mites prefer the warm/moist vent area of the chicken, but can be found just about anywhere if there's an infestation.

6. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    I checked the girls I could catch and didn't see anything, and they're all in pretty tight quarters. I'll see if I can get to her tomorrow. She's acting completely normal. Eating, drinking, foraging, running, flapping, etc. At first I thought she got into something white, which still could be the case, but I'll keep an eye on her and try to check her regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by