Pale Faced Yellow Pooping Lethargic Rooster

I have bought a thermometer and some Corid and in a minute I will check his temperature. He has gone in for the night already (he’s always a little early) so I will start the Corid doses tomorrow. I will try to get a picture of his poop but it might not be too good since he is in a small unused coop that we moved onto a grassy area.

1AFB6656-895D-4887-A7F8-29C7CB1F45C1.jpeg
His temperature was 104.1 and I finally got a picture of his poop. It’s a lot more solid than earlier but still yellow.

Could it be Blackhead? And if it is, how long do I have to treat it and how? We don’t have turkeys but after some research that sounds exactly like what this is and I’m scared because he’s so sweet and friendly towards everyone.

Ok so I've been looking into cures for blackhead, i have found an old thread. metronidazole was suggested. Is an antibiotic. For humans you need a prescription, but they have it for animals which you can buy online.
For some reason I can't quote the post so I screenshot it:
Screenshot_20180421-202336_Chrome.jpg

It's from @casportpony

Chickens usually do not suffer from blackhead. It is more of a turkey disease. I would call a vet early Monday, and take in some fresh droppings for the fecal float. They will look for worms, including cecal worms that are a cause of blackhead, but which chickens are not so bothered by. The fecal test will also look for coccidiosis and other more harmful worms. You can spend a lot of money on medications, but with the fecal test, you can know what you are treating.

I would get him taking some poultry NutriDrench now, consider the Corid in the morning, and get a fecal float on Monday. You could mention that you are concerned about E.coli and blackhead as well.

Liver disease might also color the white urates in the droppings yellow. More poop pictures are always welcome.

Chickens usually do not suffer from blackhead. It is more of a turkey disease. I would call a vet early Monday, and take in some fresh droppings for the fecal float. They will look for worms, including cecal worms that are a cause of blackhead, but which chickens are not so bothered by. The fecal test will also look for coccidiosis and other more harmful worms. You can spend a lot of money on medications, but with the fecal test, you can know what you are treating.

I would get him taking some poultry NutriDrench now, consider the Corid in the morning, and get a fecal float on Monday. You could mention that you are concerned about E.coli and blackhead as well.

Liver disease might also color the white urates in the droppings yellow. More poop pictures are always welcome.

I gave him Nutridrench and probiotics earlier just as a go-to sick bird action. I will also start the Corid in the morning. I’m not 100% sure my mother will even buy him the medicine if it’s expensive and has to be ordered. Depending on the price and ability for our vet to perform a fecal float test we will go to the vet Monday evening and see what’s going on. As for blackhead, until Monday we might just continue with the cayenne pepper and see how it goes. At least eggs are not being affected :bow:oops:

Back
Top Bottom