Pale purple comb, wattles and face. Now smaller and dryer blackish poops.

Betty Draper

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2021
One of my barred rocks started with pale comb 48 hours ago, yesterday it included face and wattles. It’s kind of purplish. Crated her by herself overnight with food and water. She slept well. Noted her poops were darker and smaller this morning. This has continued. She laid yesterday, seems a little less active. Not eating a ton but seems to drink well. No mites or lice clean vent no swelling to face no eye drainage, coughing or open mouth breathing and she isn’t molting. This is her with her poops and booty pic.
E53C9767-E301-43EA-B3F7-3E9523D35FB3.jpeg

Can you get a clearer picture of her comb? Black head, is more of a turkey disease, and I wouldn’t think that is what you are seeing. What are the temperatures you are seeing at night? Combs can become paler in winter and when not laying. Black tips can be from frostbite or a heart problem. I see dark tips on very large combed birds occasionally, and that can be from stress or dehydration. Are her feathers all gone around her ears? It is hard to see the details without a better picture.

Fowl Cholera, heart failure, heart disease or something stopping her body from getting oxygen from A to B. Im more leaning towards Fowl Cholera to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom