Pale waddles vs red

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
Hey guys,
I know I have read somewhere (but can't currently find it) that evidentally it's bad for my hen's waddles to be pale pink, and they should be bright red. Well, they are about 9 mnths old & have yet to lay. (My hens I have HAD) I got some new-to-me hens that layed the 1st day after I brought them home and then started molting, but those have bright red waddles.
So...is this pale pink (only present on golden colored hens) normal, or do I need to do something? And did everyone quit laying b/c I am doing something wrong...or it just b/c of the moult/stress of moving to a new place? Tonight is the 4th night they have a light out there (a red heat bulb) where as previously they didn't have a light.
My hens have all been wormed this summer and are frequently checked for mites.
Thanks for your help.
Kristi

Mine have very red combs when they are laying and the combs pale when they are not, like during a miolt or hot weather.
Mites can cause it as well, since they suck blood.

So, the fact that my 4 hens I have had (9 mnths) have never laid....is that NORMAL? (Pale)
The ones that did lay came from the auction barn and are obviously a bit older, but not 'old.' (Not Pale)
How often is safe to worm? I bought some wormer, but I have been told by several people just to use bleach rather than a commercial wormer....opinions???
Kristi

If you just got them it's normal to not lay until they calm down and get used to their new home. Some don't take a break, some need a week or two to adjust. The pale wattles are a little worrisome. Pick one up. Does it feel heavy and sturdy or light? You can't tell weight loss by looking with chickens. I would give some food grade DE in the feed and see if that helps, and supplement their feed with veggies and oyster shells. If they don't free range I would consider it at least for the last 2 hours of daylight, the buggies and things they find are good for their diet.

The batch with the red waddles is new, the pale ones are my original ones I've had since they were 1 mnth. I have a holistic wormer from the Holistic Horse I got for my dogs....it has DE in it...maybe that'd help. They do graze almost daily (unless time is pressing) for about an hour. But they have a 10x20 yard they are in anyhow. It's normally in the a.m. though when the go out (between 9 and 11 or so.)
They do get oyster shell abour once a week.
Thanks,
Kristi

Back
Top Bottom