Pale winter comb? Frostbite?

How's your comet doing?
My RIR Margo (5 years old) often has a pale dry comb in the winter when she's on an egg break. It always worries me, she's not young and she's a big girl, so heart/liver problems are always a concern. She's always been fine though.
Its got down to -6 degrees C here in the UK for the last few nights, so I'm keeping a close eye on her.

How's your comet doing?
My RIR Margo (5 years old) often has a pale dry comb in the winter when she's on an egg break. It always worries me, she's not young and she's a big girl, so heart/liver problems are always a concern. She's always been fine though.
Its got down to -6 degrees C here in the UK for the last few nights, so I'm keeping a close eye on her.
I think in the future, I would add something called a Sweeter Heater above the roost bar. It doesn't heat the coop, but provides a small amount of radiant warmth to their combs to prevent frostbite. Like another poster mentioned, it's kind of inevitable in certain breeds and climates. Sorry to hear Margo's having some comb worries. Sounds like it could be a Rhode Island problem (Ginger is a RIRxRIW mix).

I think in the future, I would add something called a Sweeter Heater above the roost bar. It doesn't heat the coop, but provides a small amount of radiant warmth to their combs to prevent frostbite. Like another poster mentioned, it's kind of inevitable in certain breeds and climates. Sorry to hear Margo's having some comb worries. Sounds like it could be a Rhode Island problem (Ginger is a RIRxRIW mix).
I like the idea of the sweeter heater, I’ll have to Google it. Fingers crossed 🤞 they both make it through the winter and to sunnier and warmer spring days.

Back
Top Bottom