Pale Yolk from one hen

nifty50chick

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Hi everyone,

I keep 5 BR, 5 BSL and have 12 18 week old RIR crosses who should start laying very soon. My BR's & BSL's are about a year and have been laying since they were about 20 weeks. I get 8-10 eggs a day.

Here is the issue, I keep getting ( for about the last month) one egg that has a VERY pale yolk. The shell is normal, all my girls get the same feed that includes ground flax. I am not seeing any unusual poops, no one appears ill or lethargic.

Any ideas?
hu.gif

If they're all looking and acting healthy, I don't think there's anything to worry about. I imagine that just as there is a huge variance in egg size/shape/shell colour, so there can be a variance in yolk colour without it necessarily being anything to worry about. I don't suppose there's any chance that one of your RIR crosses could have started laying very early and it's her eggs that have the pale yolks?

I have the same issue with one of my older hens. She has always laid eggs with pale yolks despite free ranging all day so plenty of access to betacarotene, which is a major factor in creating the orange yolks. I don't fret too much about it since she is healthy in every way.

Here's some info. on pale yolks you might find helpful:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/31/pale-yolks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom