Pallet chicken coop complete

I've completed our first coop! Its made out of mostly reclaimed pallets and scrap wood. The dimensions of the scraps limited the coop design. With the low height of the run, my daughters have to go in to retrieve anything if needed... but they LOVE it!

It's for 6 chickens- with 25SF inside and 160SF of the run. We also let them free range for most of the day in the backyard. PVC feeder and Waterer under the coop area for low maintenance refills! The automatic door from the coop to the run is great too!

I'm grateful we can have chickens and didn't have to spend a ton on lumber to do it! Looking into the future, I'm excited to build our next coop more properly if possible! But this will absolutely do for now.

Here are some photos of the progress:

The original drawing that started it all...

View attachment 3135037
My little helper ready to work!
View attachment 3135038
View attachment 3135049
The main structure of the coop portion:
View attachment 3135045
Covered the Vertical spaces with more pallet wood, added windows for ventilation and attached the nesting box
View attachment 3135104
I didn't have any material for the run before I started building the coop... so I now had the task of lifting this coop up onto this platform... I'm verythankful for strong friends!
View attachment 3135105
Roof and doors are in!

View attachment 3135107
A ladder for them to get in and out! View attachment 3135112
Here's the final product!
View attachment 3135113
I will probably be covering the run with something for shade and water protection as well down the road.
My chickens spent 90% of their time in a 6 ft section of a 22 foot run until I removed a white tarp that blocked the UV light . If you don't block the UV light you're good!

Back
Top Bottom