Pallet coop progress Pics

Looks good so far but, I can't tell from the pictures - did you raise the pallets off the ground ? The reason I ask is - the bottom will rot out within just a couple years if, they are not up or sitting on treated 4x4 or something. If the pallets are made out of oak you may get 4 years? My DH and I are converting a very old 8 x 14 garden shed into a coop and will be using pallets to have a lean-to off both sides to make it a 20 x 14 chicken barn. We have to replace the entire floor of the garden shed because the old treated 4x4 runners, treated 2x4s and treated plywood is all rotted. We raised it up on blocks today and the whole floor structure dropped out. We are going to cut out the bottom 6 " of rotted T11 siding and cut 2x4s up 8" to get to good wood. We will then add treated 4x4 to bottom and then add treated legs attached to treated 4x4 runners. We plan to put pallet lean-tos on legs and runners too.

You really don't want to have to do all this in a few years. I'm good about keeping cost down but, I want mine built to last too. Good luck with your new coop.

Yes I messed up but this is my first one. The next one will alway be better LOL I hope
bow.gif

I just got another load of pallets yesterday, and will go after another today. One of the pallets was big, 12ft long, and it had 4x4's the whole length of it. I"ve been having trouble posting pics, if the pic doesn't work, I will edit and post it later.

Those sizes are rare to find. I'm trying to stay as green as possible on this project. I would love to find some 12 footers
bow.gif
. Im working this weekend so hopefully next week I'll have time. The baby chicks are 2 weeks old so I still have time. My wife keeps finding other things that need to be done
rant.gif
The chicks are in her dinning room so the older and bigger they get and that happens fast , She'll soon make this the most importain prject to finish
wee.gif
Man Im smart LOL . Oh she doesn't check this site out at all LOL

Those sizes are rare to find. I'm trying to stay as green as possible on this project. I would love to find some 12 footers
bow.gif
. Im working this weekend so hopefully next week I'll have time. The baby chicks are 2 weeks old so I still have time. My wife keeps finding other things that need to be done
rant.gif
The chicks are in her dinning room so the older and bigger they get and that happens fast , She'll soon make this the most importain prject to finish
wee.gif
Man Im smart LOL . Oh she doesn't check this site out at all LOL

I busted some up yesterday and today and alot had 4x4's underneath instead of 2x4's When I finish breaking them down I'll start building.
this is the pic I was going to put in my previous post , I got 2 trailer loads like this. some of the pallets look like they'd been used once.

Last edited:

I busted some up yesterday and today and alot had 4x4's underneath instead of 2x4's When I finish breaking them down I'll start building.
this is the pic I was going to put in my previous post , I got 2 trailer loads like this. some of the pallets look like they'd been used once.

I have been using my truck but like your trailor :) . I had to cut some pallets the other day and used a skill saw and sawsall . The skids are oak and finally for the cross cut I used a chain saw. Lot of work but its coming :)

Some of the nails don't want to come out especially on the ends. this last load I used a circular saw on the ends because they usually split anyways, and take care to get the nails out of the center. My trailer needs some new boards and one of the big 8ft pallets had pressure treated full 1x6's on it so I'm going to use that wood for the trailer.

We found it a PITA to cut up pallets! And to nail into the oak? I had a hard time with that! Then to use screws, I had to drill pilot holes. It's coming along - but more work than I thought it was going to be.

Hoping to finish it tomorrow...

Oak is difficult to work with especially trying to put screws into. If I build something I'm going to paint or cover with something I try to find the soft stuff just for that reason. I finished busting pallets yesterday and now the fun starts, pulllng nails.

tyjaco don't forget to post pics of what you're building

Back
Top Bottom