Pallet Coop - Recycled Materials

twostep

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hello all! I have read quite a bit on this site but this is my first post. I just figured I would share my latest coop build. I wanted it big enough to house about 15 hens but I didn't want it to cost a fortune. So I decided to try and build one with as much recycled materials as I could.

Materials:
-Sled is made from (2) treated 2"x6"x8', (1) 4"x4"x'8. (These three boards are the only non-recycled materials.)
-9 pallets + slats from several more pallets to fill the gaps.
-Various untreated wood scraps.
-3 truck bed liners (scavenged from a spray-in bed liners company's junk pile).
-hinges and screws saved from demolishing various things.

Details:
-Open bottom so there is no poop to scoop.
-Minimal nest boxes (since they always lay in one box anyway)
-Plenty of roost space
-No wheels, sled type is less maintenance and since it will be moved with a garden tractor the ease of moving is not as critical.
-No paint, again less maintenance plus the rustic look adds character. The outside is treated with a 50/50 solution of diesel and ATF. It makes for a good wood preservative that is cheap and easy to apply with a garden sprayer.
-Two hen entries, in the chance that I put up some fence to keep the chickens confined I could actually make a run on each end of the coop and rotate the hens from one run to the other to allow the grass to grow.
-Man entry door, egg collection door, auto-waterer, auto-feeder doors easy to access and located outside of the run.

Let me log in through tapatalk to upload photos...

98e6982c61c83f617d00b67b6b23f6d1.jpg
1ca5cfb0b66c5525533eee0d3d7a6cc6.jpg
60bca82eba8e2fbf1db221a500c48ae1.jpg
e5c3aa3a199f50cafa301bfb25ce5852.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck bed liner roof. I like that idea! Heavy plastic should last quite a while. Any way to make it into the contact point for the ground?

Back
Top Bottom