Pallet coop- tips and ideas needed!

My pallet coop, about 3.5 x 3.5 metres.
Fits 10 chickens plus more room to add more shelves and roosts when needed.
I filled in pallet gaps (some pallets had boards so didn't need to fill gaps) used recycled timber bits and added tarps I can roll up for weather protection and ventilation. Roof is recycled tin. Broody coop inside is pallet also. Screen door is recycled also.
IMG_20210520_113717.jpg
IMG_20210914_132208.jpg
IMG_20210822_131619.jpg
IMG_20210821_173813.jpg

My pallet coop, about 3.5 x 3.5 metres.
Fits 10 chickens plus more room to add more shelves and roosts when needed.
I filled in pallet gaps (some pallets had boards so didn't need to fill gaps) used recycled timber bits and added tarps I can roll up for weather protection and ventilation. Roof is recycled tin. Broody coop inside is pallet also. Screen door is recycled also.
View attachment 2850046
View attachment 2850047
View attachment 2850049
View attachment 2850051

Interesting use of old shelving units. :)

Good luck. I tried to rip apart two pallets a couple of weeks ago and the supports in the middle were the only three pieces that were salvageable. I pretty much destroyed the rest of the slats. :/
I've done well with pallets that are still.in good shape.This is time consuming but FREE! My husband cut all the nails then bumped them out .so far we have a floor that is 3 pallets long and the walls are almost done. KEEP IN MIND VERY TIME CONSUMING .But you can add to it as you want.We are adding 2 old vintage windows for light and ventilation one will be a skylight.

I’ve built three pallet coops for either inside kennels or as an extension this summer. My son knows how to break up the pallets so that most of the wood is usable but without his help I can’t do it. Can however build the coops on my own which is wonderful. I either board up one side entirely or allow the empty slats for ventilation. I get really good pallets nearby for $2 each so it’s a huge savings. One pallet equals almost four sf of wall. There is a pallet tool that is supposed to help with tearing them down also.

Attachments

• D15F9016-5D44-429E-8275-98A6FF41D4E8.jpeg
    D15F9016-5D44-429E-8275-98A6FF41D4E8.jpeg
    760.5 KB · Views: 11
I've given up on working with pallets. The wood is shabby, doesn't hold up to the elements and is difficult to break apart.

I decided on plywood sheets for my coop - did go raised - and just used good ole framing timber to build a box frame to nail to plywood to.

Went thin, it's not cold here, and have two big shutters on the cleaning doors which open to the outside of the run. It's tall enough that a wheelbarrow sits just under the floor for easy waste removal.

And corrugated metal roof on top.

It's served me well and my hens live under the coop when it rains. A bit tedious to climb under, but not something I have to do often.

Training a Silkie to use a ramp is an adventure tho... They do get it eventually.

Just a little food for thought. As a person that loves a good freebie and is always looking for a bargain. I think with all the time and work involved in collecting and dismantling pallets. Then having to deal with odd length, short boards. That buying rough cut lumber from a sawmill is a better value. Of both money and time. The sawmill I purchase my lumber from charges 55 cents a board foot. So a 1 inch X 6 inch X 8 foot board, cost $2.20. You can’t buy much time, travel and labor for $2.20. Personally I would rather be building and being able utilize standard length lumber. Than spending my time dismantling, sorting and disposing of broken, unusable pieces and nails. Then having to make my project fit my lumber.

This was done right before covid hit and wood wasn't expensive. We spent $20 on the 4 walls. It's a 4x4 and the height was done that way to easily access the back through our slope. I've had people question the height. It was done because our slope would've been in the way of the back. We added wheels to move it but let's be honest, it is heavy!!
My fence is all pallets.
Could you explain w a little more detail how you did this? Thanks!

I've done well with pallets that are still.in good shape.This is time consuming but FREE! My husband cut all the nails then bumped them out .so far we have a floor that is 3 pallets long and the walls are almost done. KEEP IN MIND VERY TIME CONSUMING .But you can add to it as you want.We are adding 2 old vintage windows for light and ventilation one will be a skylight.
"KEEP IN MIND VERY TIME CONSUMING" No truer words ever spoken!

Back
Top Bottom