Pallet Hoop House Progress Pics

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
1000000254.jpg
1000000253.jpg
1000000261.jpg

I know many have done this before, but I'm overly excited and wanted to share. 😀 This is actually for a greenhouse, but if I ever build a larger chicken coop, I will make one of these.

We have had a lot of struggles making this. Maybe sharing will help someone. The concrete pad is not level. The pallets are not level. The pallet wood is thin and tends to shatter when you use fence staples or larger screws. We have found these little metal plates called mending braces and L brackets to be a great help.

But we should have made a frame for the floor and then fixed the pallets to that. It would have cost money for lumber but a level surface would have made things easier. Trying to make the door straight and level was a pain. All pallets and scrap lumber came from the county dump or local business dumpsters. We were trying to save money.

Today we are going to brace the center of the roof in case some year we have a big snow. We are going to reinforce the sides and try fixing the plastic on. Then we need to put handles and latch on the door. The past few days were very windy. We were even getting pelted by sleet flurries lol. I hope it's calm today.
Dimensions: 15'6" X 10"6" roughly 10' high
Costs:
$125 cattle panels x 4
$60ish Brackets/braces/screws/fence staples
$59.52 greenhouse film from Amazon 15x40' size
$17.30 for greenhouse repair tape and garden clips 50 pieces
$15.12 for 32' pipe insulation
$5 zip ties?
$15 for screen door
So roughly $298 spent
Let's just call it $300. -.-;

I could have gotten a greenhouse kit from Amazon for much less. Haha. I really hope this is longer lasting and sturdier or I will feel foolish.

Looks awesome and you bet that's going to last way longer than those kits will last! Same goes for the prefab coops.

You might want to consider perusing the coops under articles and check out how the highly-rated ones did their articles. Yours would be great in there. If you do, there's a contest also for coop articles.

Back
Top Bottom