Finally, the Pentacoop is habitable (a work in progress)

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
After two months of struggling through angles, borrowing saws, renting ladders, waiting out rain, etc the aviary style coop I envisioned for my chicks is ready for their move.
The dome was inspired by a need for a chicken run combined with too hard of ground to put in posts easily. My yard is a literal lava field, with portions that have more broken up rock and some with solid poured basalt. Since I did not enjoy my experience hammering holes for my lemon trees, I decided that the structure would be anchored but not based on posts. I spent a lot of time just looking for inspiration before I stumbled upon a Craigslist ad for the Magidome brackets.
From there, I ordered and got them in January. Built the skeleton. Then had to wait for the borrowed saw and ladders to cross brace. Then clad the roof, figure out how to prevent the local hawk from coming through the gaps that are still present. Then wrapping the whole lower half in 1/2" hardware cloth with a 2' apron. Debating on leveling the coop, but that was way out of the scope of me doing by myself by the time I really noticed it as a potential problem

We have a very pleasant environment, so the aviary style allows for enough airflow and rain protection for the birds. I placed a guava trunk as a potential roost to add some natural elements. I think I am going to reinforce the inside house more with the addition of hinged side walls. Hinged so they can be used as nesting boxes when that time comes.

Things still needed:
  • Dust bath
  • Side walls for inner house
  • Poop roof for the food and water tubes under pallet house
  • Chicken Compost spot, similar to Self Sufficient Me.
  • Anchor stronger to the ground.
Am I missing anything else obvious?

The chicks spent their first night in it last night. They seem a little overwhelmed by the size and are really unsure of the house, though I think thats just due to them not having adequate time to explore on their own. They seemed quite excited about having more space to run around with the added bonus of inky cap mushrooms to find in the mulch floor. They spent their first night on the bricks at the aviary door.

Last edited:
1000002054.jpg
1000002052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom