Palsy?

bacbacbac

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 23, 2010
At first googling nothing turned up so I'll research deeper, but starting here. One of my ducks is having some palsy type movements with it's wings. Can you throw a few medical possibilities at me? I'd like to find out if there is anything I can do for it, if there is or will be pain involved, or if it is a communicable disease like Mareks that will eventually result in death. Thanks.

I've crossposted under Emergencies as well, just FYI. This behavior is constant and I would call it tremors. Now that I've taken more time to observe the flock I see that three ducks are exhibiting tremors.

While preening, the wings tend to express some kind of twitching, people sometimes mistake this for tremors, just wanted to make sure that this is not the case here since I have no idea how experienced you are with ducks.

Are we speaking of some kind of Parkinson's Desease or paralysis?

I've crossposted under Emergencies as well, just FYI. This behavior is constant and I would call it tremors. Now that I've taken more time to observe the flock I see that three ducks are exhibiting tremors.
Can you post a video? when does it happen like after being in the pool etc?

I concur with Miss Lydia, a video would be a great help.
Thanks Frank, one time a member posted a video of their ducks moving their wings alot like something was wrong with them after talking back and forth we finally determined they were only doing this after playing in the pool or when preening. My Muscovy's do it too; it can look like something is wrong if you haven't ever seen this before, and this may not be it but always good to look at every possible angle.

Good to see you..again
smile.png

Ducks will also exhibit a twitching/sagging action if their wings are loaded with 'blood' flight feathers. If your ducks have been molting, this might be a possibility.

Thanks everyone. I noticed it while preening, but I thought it looked like they were preening because the tremors were bothering them. I am absolutely new to ducks and am not familiar with all of their habits yet. I have a busy family life and am often chasing little humans, so I don't get to do the same observation I did when I first started keeping chickens. I quarantined them separately from the hens for the night and will video them tomorrow. I did notice tonight that the "tremors" stopped when they were laying on the ground resting/sleeping so hopefully this is just a new-to-ducks thing :) Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. I noticed it while preening, but I thought it looked like they were preening because the tremors were bothering them. I am absolutely new to ducks and am not familiar with all of their habits yet. I have a busy family life and am often chasing little humans, so I don't get to do the same observation I did when I first started keeping chickens. I quarantined them separately from the hens for the night and will video them tomorrow. I did notice tonight that the "tremors" stopped when they were laying on the ground resting/sleeping so hopefully this is just a new-to-ducks thing :) Thanks again.
I'm thinking so too, but a video will help, I know the first time I saw mine twitching I thought oh no what is wrong, but hopefully it's just part of their preening same as I have seen here. Ducks are very hardy and are resistant to disease if kept in reasonably clean conditions [I know that's not that easy since we're talking ducks] but not kept in nasty conditions so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom