Pancake the coturnix quail is on a second clutch of eggs P_P help she wont stop making babies XD

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
*looks into the baby pen wondering why i haven't seen pancake in a while*

*pancake hiding the 10 eggs shes now sitting on* "these are not the droids you are looking for"

i...i dont even know what to think of this duffus anymore.

"coturnix quail never incubate eggs"
"coturnix quail would never brood chicks"

*this dumbass coturnix quail incubating a clutch while her 4 weeks old chicks bounce around happily*

guys i dont know what to do. this is fascinating, but i dont have the *room* to see how far she'll go!
should i let her keep hatching chicks? just to see how many clutches she'd do in a row? is she going to keep brooding all summer?
i hate culling, and having to cull just because i was curious how many she'd raise is pretty shitty.

is there anyone near Saint Charles IL who would want some of these chicks? or even pancake herself to do some breeding experiments with? my max is prob 10 quail due to the way i keep them. i have 12 now with the chicks. i don't want more. even now id much prefer giving away at least half of them.

anyone have thoughts? should i just keep taking the eggs away till she gives up? this seems like to interesting of an opportunity to just make her stop given how rare nesting is with them

and if anyone is interested in the chicks i gotta say. theses are the *weirdest* quail chicks iv ever had. quiet and well behaved. only minimal toe biting because momma would come running as soon as the screaming started up. listening to them talk is amazing. little coos and chirps. not the loud calls they usually love to indulge in. she taught them to eat and drink and everything.

thus far i can say at least one pharaoh rooster. itll be interesting to see how he handles having a flock of his own. if he's less aggressive or anything.

if anyone wants any of these birds. whether its the chicks or pancake. i wont charge anything for them. but i can only drive about 20miles to meet anyone for a hand off.

the clutch came out 4 pharaohs and 3 rosettas not sure if any of the rosettas are male yet

guys, guys.

the 'i dont know what to do' was about the fact that this is fascinating and i really want her to keep going, but i dont have room.'

not about how to prevent baby.

-______-

and yes i am looking for people for the current chicks.

although i have just discovered that the discord in the pen was because she was sick of them

i separated her from them and they quieted down and stopped flushing the way they have the last few days, and shes chilling on her nest happy as a clam in the dog pen i got out for her.

apparently 4 weeks was her limit. she started laying again at about 3 weeks, far as i can tell. the eggs shes sitting on now are likely not fertile either. given she hasn't seen her roo in those 3 weeks.

if i wanted to see whats she'll do with the new clutch id need to give her fertile eggs. i suppose i should have made the joke about broody birds in the title clearer. so it goes. prob should have checked this thread sooner to. but work was killing me. outdoor garden center in 107 degree weather will melt even the strongest brain

Back
Top Bottom