Panic! Panic!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Preservation Acres, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have four very calm hens...the sit on your lap and coo kinda hens.

Then there's the new one. I bought a game hen because I just had to have her, and she is the flightiest thing I've ever seen in my life. Just the sight of something (non-chicken) walking on two legs sends her into a panic.

Will she ever calm down?

2. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I had an OEGB who was super flighty and I gave him a bath...yes, a bath! He must have really liked it because as soon as he got it he calmed down in the towel, then realized I wasn't the devil. After that I was able to pet him and hold him.

He ended up being a real sweetie. He even sat in the house while the dog (a lab) wagged her tail against him and he didn't even move - just glanced over his shoulder at her tail wacking him (hey, she was happy LOL). What a crack up.

Have faith...and treats!!!

3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    She has calmed down some actually, but she has a loooong way to go. She's not scared of the other hens anymore, so that's a start.

She watches my other hens sit on my lap and eat out of my hand and she just stares with wonder.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Treats, treats, treats

5. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Give her some more time to get used to her surroundings and you as well. She might come around eventually.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Maybe she wasn't used to so much human contact in her previous home.

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My OEGB are my least flighty birds. When I open their cages, they literally jump in my hand. 8 yr old DD carries them around like they are babies.

Lots of handling, lots of treats and persistance!

Love my OEGB's! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by