Panting after laying

The cheek coop

Crowing
Jun 20, 2023
London Ky
We have a golden comet hen that has been laying (not sure how long,we’ve had her since 7-4-23) I went out this evening after I got home from work and she had laid her second egg since we’ve had her. Her wings were slightly spread and she was clucking. I went out about 30mins later to close the hens up for the night and she was sitting in the same nesting box she had laid in her wings were slightly spread and she was panting. The have plenty of water and it isn’t too hot. I’m sure it’s nothing but I am new to this and I want to be sure. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We have a golden comet hen that has been laying (not sure how long,we’ve had her since 7-4-23) I went out this evening after I got home from work and she had laid her second egg since we’ve had her. Her wings were slightly spread and she was clucking. I went out about 30mins later to close the hens up for the night and she was sitting in the same nesting box she had laid in her wings were slightly spread and she was panting. The have plenty of water and it isn’t too hot. I’m sure it’s nothing but I am new to this and I want to be sure. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
First, I applaud you for paying attention. It is hot where I live, however, even when it wasn't, I have two that pant while laying and after and the rest do not. If there are no other symptoms, I would say it is just individual for some hens. I know I would sure be panting if I laid an egg. :)

Wings out and panting is high heat behavior. She could very possibly feel a little warm but be just fine. Double check in the morning, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over this.

Back
Top Bottom