Panting and limping

maribameche

Chirping
Mar 15, 2017
A few minutes ago I noticed my Rhode Island Red limping pretty bad and panting. I have misters outside so I held her up to them and got her wet to cool her down and gave her ice cold water and she hasn't stopped panting. I think limp is from one of my tortoises because she got into their house but I'm worried about the panting... any advice?

They do pant when they are warm. You don't necessarily need to step in unless it's excessive or it's really hot. Panting helps to cool them down. Some people use misters, and some use fans. Definitely provide clean cold fresh water, and shade during warm weather.

When was the last time she laid an egg?
Does she have any bloat or swelling of the abdomen?

Check her legs over to see if you see any cuts/wounds. It's possible the limping could be from injury and the panting from the heat. Just keep watch on her and as suggested see that she is drinking and has access to clean fresh water.

Thank you guys for replying. My other pullet is now panting.. it is 83 degrees and dark out. They have been fine on 100 degree days and have plenty of water. They're only 9 weeks and not ready to lay yet so I don't think it's that. She's currently roosting on the back of my chair and it doesn't seem to be hurting her. My stepdaughter may have accidentally dropped her or she got into a fight with one of the other hens or my cockerel or one of my tortoises may have accident. She has no obvious injuries that I can see besides the limp.

Their panting will stop and then start back up in a few minutes. I'm so worried that they have something viral and that it's not the heat :( I didn't have my misters on how I normally would because I was at the doctor for strep throat and wasn't here to turn them on though so it's possible the temperature was hotter than normal in my yard

It had to be the heat because when I woke up, they were no longer panting. Her limp is worse though.. my poor baby

Good to hear they are no longer panting, heat is hard on chickens.

Injuries/sprains can take a while to heal. Offer some poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) and, if you can restrict her activity level for a few days.

Keep us posted.

I have vitamins in their water but I'll have to check if it has B2. I'll keep you guys updated on her! Thank you so much!!

Update: she's still limping, it seems like it's getting worse but there's no longer any green, just swollen now...

Back
Top Bottom