panting and very hot - PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Denisemomof4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
my chick that I've written about is doing absolutely FANTASTIC compared to last week. She has pretty much full control of her neck and although she's still unsteady on her feet, she's able to stand and take a few steps. She thinks I'm her mama now! I'm still syringe feeding her. She's acting TOTALLY normal now, aside from not being 100% on her feet yet, but I noticed that when I'm feeding her, she's very hot. Her beak is hot, her feet are hot, beneath her wings she's hot. And now she's panting. Last night I had to put her in cool water in the middle of the night when I noticed her panting. I have her in a cage with a fan blowing on her but when I pick her up, she's just SO hot.

I still have her on the vit E, selenium and polyvisol. I didn't add vit. B because it looked like you add that when you're not doing the poly. ??? I'm crushing grower pellets and mixing with water so I can syringe feed her. I just added a bowl of mash in her cage (dry) to see if she'll start to peck at it. She will periodically peck at water.

I've googled and am having a very hard time figuring out what to do about this fever. I'm sure she has one. It was very cool last night but she remained very hot and panting. I will have my husband buy some electrolytes when he's out today.

Can someone PLEASE advise? She's come SO far and now this!!!!

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Oh no, I am sorry. Can you give a chicken maybe childrens fever reducer. IDK that just came to mind. I am hoping someone here can help.

Last edited:
I know you can give part of a baby aspirin for pain, maybe that will help. When my birds get hot, I give them a pan of water to stand in. But idk what is causing fever.

I didn't know you could give a chicken baby aspirin. That will help bring the fever down, I'm sure, but I worry about what's causing it. She's come SO FAR. I hope this isn't another setback.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is not due to outside temps. Last night it was in the low 60s and she was still panting. It's not hot enough to have our air on, I'm comfortable (HATE the heat!) and she's in her cage with a fan on her. She's still panting. She is VERY hot to the touch.

OK, so I just re-read your post.
Duh, So sorry. You already answered my question.

Can she eat on her own? I mean, I know you are feeding her with a syringe, but would she be able to peck?

The reason I ask is, my favorite cooling trick is frozen watermelon. They love it. It provides hydration and some sugars. Of course, they need to be able to eat it.

The other thing I am thinking would be to freeze water in a 2 liter bottle and leave it next to her. Make sure she can get away from it if she needs to. Don't want her to get too cool!
smile.png

Good luck!

I was also thinking that since it takes some time to freeze water, you might fix up an ice pack. Use a hot water bottle, so she can't break it open. It won't last as long, but it might work.

And the watermelon works unfrozen too. They like the taste, so they devour it. It might provide some incentive to your chick to peck a little more often and get some on its own, instead of you having to help.

Sorry. Wish I could be more help. Kids I know. Chickens, well...... I'm still learning.

I'm not so sure I'd give her asprin. I found these online:

Avian spirochaetosis (tick fever)

In chickens and turkeys the blood parasite Borrelia anserina causes a relapsing fever-like condition. This disease, which is transmitted by the fowl tick Argas persicus, has been diagnosed in Darwin, Alice Springs and on many stations. Birds of all ages may be infected. They become feverish, have green diarrhoea and may become paralysed in the wings or legs.

The disease can be controlled by eliminating ticks from the flock (see Agnote K2 External Parasites of Poultry). In backyard flocks, the painting of perches and woodwork with sump-oil or creosote and removing and disposing of wood and rubbish from yards is usually an effective method of control.

Nonrespiratory Bacterial Diseases
Fowl Cholera

Synonyms: avian pasteurellosis, cholera, avian hemorrhagic septicemia.

Species affected: Domestic fowl of all species (primarily turkeys and chickens), game birds (especially pheasants and ducks), cage birds, wild birds, and birds in zoological collections and aviaries are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Fowl cholera usually strikes birds older than 6 weeks of age. In acute outbreaks, dead birds may be the first sign. Fever, reduced feed consumption, mucoid discharge from the mouth, ruffled feathers, diarrhea, and labored breathing may be seen. As the disease progresses birds lose weight, become lame from joint infections, and develop rattling noises from exudate in air passages. As fowl cholera becomes chronic, chickens develop abscessed wattles and swollen joints and foot pads. Caseous exudate may form in the sinuses around the eyes. Turkeys may have twisted necks (see Table 3 ).

Transmission: Multiple means of transmission have been demonstrated. Flock additions, free-flying birds, infected premises, predators, and rodents are all possibilities.

Treatment: A flock can be medicated with a sulfa drug (sulfonamides, especially sulfadimethoxine, sulfaquinonxalene, sulfamethazine, and sulfaquinoxalene) or vaccinated, or both, to stop mortality associated with an outbreak. It must be noted, however, that sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for use in pullets older than 14 weeks or for commercial laying hens. Sulfa drugs leave residues in meat and eggs. Antibiotics can be used, but require higher levels and long term medication to stop the outbreak.

Prevention: On fowl cholera endemic farms, vaccination is advisable. Do not vaccinate for fowl cholera unless you have a problem on the farm. Rodent control is essential to prevent future outbreaks.

Staphylococcus

Synonyms: staph infection, staph septicemia, staph arthritis, bumblefoot

Species affected: All fowl, especially turkeys, chickens, game birds, and waterfowl, are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Staphylococcal infections appear in three forms -- septicemia (acute), arthritic (chronic), and bumblefoot. The septicemia form appears similar to fowl cholera in that the birds are listless, without appetite, feverish, and show pain during movement. Black rot may show up in eggs (the organism is passed in the egg). Infected birds pass fetid watery diarrhea. Many will have swollen joints (arthritis) and production drops (see Table 3 ).

The arthritic form follows the acute form. Birds show symptoms of lameness and breast blisters, as well as painful movement (see Table 3 ). Birds are reluctant to walk, preferring to sit rather than stand.

Bumblefoot is a localized chronic staph infection of the foot, thought to be caused by puncture injuries. The bird becomes lame from swollen foot pads (see Table 3 ).

Transmission: Staphylococcus aureus is soil-borne and outbreaks in flocks often occur after storms when birds on range drink from stagnant rain pools.

Treatment: Novobiocin (350 g/ton) can be given in the feed for 5-7 days. Erythromycin and penicillin can be administered in the water for 3-5 days or in the feed (200 g/ton) for 5 days. Other antibiotics and drugs are only occasionally effective.

Prevention: Remove objects that cause injury. Isolate chronically affected birds. Provide nutritionally balanced feed.

Back
Top Bottom