Panting ducklings

angieangiebobangie

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
My pekin ducklings (4 wks and 2 wks old) have been inside without a heat lamp. I turned off the fan and had the window open and started panting a lot. I since shut the window and turned back on the fan. I want them to get used to the heat since they’ll be outside soon but I’m afraid they’ll over heat and die :( I’m not sure what to do now

My pekin ducklings (4 wks and 2 wks old) have been inside without a heat lamp. I turned off the fan and had the window open and started panting a lot. I since shut the window and turned back on the fan. I want them to get used to the heat since they’ll be outside soon but I’m afraid they’ll over heat and die :( I’m not sure what to do now
I also gave them some save a chick in their water and some ice cubes

Welcome to BYC.

The good thing here is that ducks have been around long before our time, and have faired fine in the heat. Set them outside, provide shade, and water, and they'll be fine.

Thank you so much for the replies. They’ll be going out today since it’ll be raining and much cooler. I will freeze some water bottles and buy some frozen peas and corn for them.

Mine abandoned their lamp weeks earlier than I've seen other people's breeds do it and sometimes pant inside, even when I've got the a/c blasting enough that the humans are too cold, but when we take a trip outside they're fine, even when I'm sweating buckets. They find a shady spot, hunker down and take a nap with no issues. They'll also often pant in their indoor pen (no top and chickenwire sides, so the same airflow as the rest of the house) but if I let them free-roam the house they just lay under the table and nap with no issue. Pekins are weirdos .🤷‍♀️

They’ve been outside all today today (90 degrees) and have been panting all day long. They eat and drink normally and I also let them swim for a little. Is it okay for them to paint all day?

Its been 40c here the last two days and unless they are in the pool and just floating or asleep under a shrub, then mine are panting.

If they are eating, drinking etc and have access to play water, then I think they are ok.

Keep an eye out for signs of dehydration - I am adding acv to their water ( just found out that its a thing here for people to drink acv diluted in water too !).

Back
Top Bottom