Panting in the coop..first night out

Yea! You need to make sure that the inside temp doesn't go above the outside temp. If it does, then that means circulation is compromised and you need to bring it down, this time of year. They can stand a wide range of temps, but it's the air circulation, air flow, the ventilation that is key for them.

I put a small clip on fan in my coop when it’s hot at night here. I don’t aim it direct at the chickens but rather above them. If there is anyway at all you can modify your coop to add more ventilatio, I would do it. Just cut out some wall or roof up high and replace it with hardware cloth. It’s really ALL about ventilation . And you can add frozen water jugs to the coop at night too…

Its my girls first night to stay in the coop. I have two windows, and five small vents. It was 92 degrees today and is 84 now. They are panting in the coop. Donthey pant when nervous or only when hot? If its too hot, how do I cool it off more?
Small battery fan or a big fan facing open door , you should have full flow . Bowl of ice cubes will help inside .
I lost 2 chickens 2 heat exhaustion… they can’t do heat very well
make sure there is shade over the coop or the pen ..use bamboo roll down inexpensive ..
also sprinkler on roof of coop

Alright, this fan is connected to a temp controller so anytime its above whatever temp i set it to, the fan kicks on. I'm thinking ill start with this and if needed, can add one more window in the back. Hoping the windows, vents, and fan will be enough.

We installed one of these:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=D74B298D-3C6F-4287-9F9F-4EA09B8D0A73

They are fans specifically made with a sealed motor to endure the abuse constant dust from chickens and livestock throw at the motor. House fans are not.

These fans suck the hot air out of the coop. So what I would do is have 2 doors on hand- one made of hardware cloth to allow ventilation and the other solid door it came with for the colder months.

I would install the fan in the wall across from the big door. And of course have the windows open - fresh air will be sucked into the coop that way too. The fan sits there all year- the slats stay closed unless it's running. You can prop them open with a chunk of 2x4 if you want the extra "window" without the fan running.

20220604_153238.jpg

Back
Top Bottom