Pantry Cleanout Can I give to my chickens

binders

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2011
I'm in the process of doing a much overdue cleanout of my panrty. I have a lot of open bags of various nuts, rice, dried fruit, grains and beans. I was thinkging of putting them in the food processor and grinding them up and feeding them to my chickens. I am mostly concerned about the beans. I think that I need to cook them first. What I was wondering was if I boil them for 15-20 minutes and then dry them so that I can grind them and add them to the mix would that be OK? I want to get them dry so that I can keep them for a couple of weeks because there are too many goodies to give over just a few days. If I dry them after cooking and griind them then I can keep them for longer.
I am thinking of adding the nut, fruit, grain, and possible beans mix to my buckety of fermented feed that I am currently feeding. Right now my fermented feed is a mix of layer pellets, scratch and a 3-way grain mix. Anyone see a problem with this?

I wouldn't bother grinding it up.

Mine never eat dried beans. Cooked beans they gobble up.

I don't know about fermenting. When I clean out the fridge or pantry or whatever I just toss everything in a bowl and dump it in the run. Liquids I just set the bowl down and let them feast.

There's way too much to feed at once so I am trying to find a way that I can spread it over several weeks. It has been several years since I've cleared out the pantry so there is a lot. Don't know where all this stuff came from. I think the kids brought some home when they returned from school. I never remember buying some of it. :)

Beans must be cooked before feeding to the chickens...they contain a toxin which can make them really sick or even kill them. Cooking removes it.

I cook about 4 cups at a time and store them in the fridge. I put out about a cupful for them every day or two and they just snarf 'em down...great extra protein!

Hi,

I have read that beans must be cooked, however I am confused because split peas are used in several brands of organic and conventional feed in Oregon. So I am wondering, are split peas and/or lentils ok uncooked?

I hope someone can answer!

This may sound crazy, but sounds like you need to make a chicken cake! You can add all your various items together, and bake a cake with it. Your chickens will LOVE it. I just made 4 Herb Cakes for my babies.....me crazy? Nah.... ; )

~ Aspen

I did that with the "leftovers" from canning applesauce. I scooped what I figured would be a portion into individual Baggies and froze them. Over the winter when something sort of "fresh" would be a treat, I'll haul one out and let it thaw for them. You could do the same with all those leftovers from the pantry. Toss 'em all in the crockpot and let it cook overnight. Then just freeze and take one out from time to time as a supplement. During the winter, if you heat it a bit, they'll love you for it!

Back
Top Bottom