Paper shavings for bedding? Safe?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I work in an office and am now a new chicken "mom", I am using wood shavings, but is it ok to use the shredded paper from my office as bedding?

Welcome to BYC! I would NOT use paper shavings. When they get wet or damp, they will produce mold. And that is not good for the chicks/chickens. I would stick with pine shavings (not cedar shavings, the oils in cedar may cause the chicks to get sick).

Some people use it, I don't because I shred pre approved credit cards and chickens eat anything, plus I'm not convinced all ink is non toxic and who knows what formula is used to make the vast array of paper.

I tried both with last spring's chicks. The paper because it was here and free, I just ran some newspaper through the shredder we use for mail. It got nasty, wet and smelly very quickly.

I picked up a $6 bale of pine shavings and everybody was *much* happier.

If you don't mind changing the paper several times a day it can work, but shavings work much better IMO.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the response...this occured to me also, but thought I would ask anyway....to the recycle dump it goes then! thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom