Parakeet cage too small?

PastaChickenBoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
MD
So basically we have 2 parakeets in a cage. (budgerigars) I think it might be a bit small. What is the minimum cage size for 2 budgerigars?

A single parakeet should have a cage 20 inches long, 18 inches deep, and 18 inches wide. For a pair it is 30 inches long and the same depth and width. I hope your parakeets the best!:thumbsup

The nthat means that our cage is too small. My mom refuses to get a bigger cage.
How big is your cage right now? If its smaller than what 1 parakeet has i ADVISE you to get a larger cage or get rid of them:(if you do live out in the country or even in a small town maybe consider getting a few chickens :p wish the best! Just remember, parakeets require care just as any other animal does!

Can you let them out in your bedroom for some exercise every day? If they aren't tame then they may be a bit tricky to catch (it'll take you awhile to grab them to return them to their cage) but at least they'd really be able to stretch their wings. After awhile they should get used to the new routine and look forward to getting out for awhile.

You could explain to your Mom you've researched & learned that your birds need a minimum cage size 30"L x 18"W x 18" D for their health & sanity (show her Chicken_Crazy081 post). JaeG suggests letting them exercise in your room, don't think your Mom would appreciate that. Starlings and dogs suggestion is a good one....Ask your mom if she'd get you a bigger cage, you'd work it off doing extra chores around the house, or figure out ways to earn the monies (babysitting, mowing lawns, walking dogs, washing cars, etc....)
It wouldn't need to be a new cage, check on your local CraigsList if there's one someone don't need anymore. If you're able to get a used one disinfect it well & air out before putting your birds in.
Hopefully you and your Mom can work out a solution.

You could explain to your Mom you've researched & learned that your birds need a minimum cage size 30"L x 18"W x 18" D for their health & sanity (show her Chicken_Crazy081 post). JaeG suggests letting them exercise in your room, don't think your Mom would appreciate that. Starlings and dogs suggestion is a good one....Ask your mom if she'd get you a bigger cage, you'd work it off doing extra chores around the house, or figure out ways to earn the monies (babysitting, mowing lawns, walking dogs, washing cars, etc....)
It wouldn't need to be a new cage, check on your local CraigsList if there's one someone don't need anymore. If you're able to get a used one disinfect it well & air out before putting your birds in.
Hopefully you and your Mom can work out a solution./QUOTE]
Unfortunately she doesn't want a biger cage because she thinks that it'll take up too much room and it's too much for two little birds, and I'm like "MOM, DO YOU WANT THE BEST FOR OUR BIRDS?!"
I guess it's 'cause we spend all of our time with our chooks, but I can't imagine life without my 2 parakeets.

Back
Top Bottom