Parakeets and conures?

Livvy0987

Songster
Oct 13, 2020
Colorado
Hello! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day, I was wondering can parakeets and conures be friends? Obviously in separate cages. I’ve searched the internet but all I get is that you shouldn’t house them together, obviously! Can they play together? I have 2 parakeets. Ive been looking for a bigger bird. Thought about cockatiels but I fell in love with a conure today! Just curious if they can play together (supervised) I know it would drive my keets crazy if they heard another bird they couldn’t play with! Thanks! 🦜

Hello! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day, I was wondering can parakeets and conures be friends? Obviously in separate cages. I’ve searched the internet but all I get is that you shouldn’t house them together, obviously! Can they play together? I have 2 parakeets. Ive been looking for a bigger bird. Thought about cockatiels but I fell in love with a conure today! Just curious if they can play together (supervised) I know it would drive my keets crazy if they heard another bird they couldn’t play with! Thanks! 🦜
By parakeet, I guess you mean Budgie? There's lots of different species of parakeet.
I personally wouldn't let them together. A conure could do some serious damage to a human let alone a small budgie. It wouldn't bother them at all. If you've got 2 already then it certainly wouldn't drive them crazy to hear another bird. They wouldn't have anything to do with other birds if they were in the wild.
I used to keep Kakarikis with budgies (same cage), they got on extremely well and they're the most fun bird I've ever had anything to do with.
Worth a look, if you're in the market for a new parrot.

Always remember…

Attachments

• F93B19E9-2783-4FF6-8F5B-EEF4375A6E37.jpeg
    F93B19E9-2783-4FF6-8F5B-EEF4375A6E37.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 5
By parakeet, I guess you mean Budgie? There's lots of different species of parakeet.
I personally wouldn't let them together. A conure could do some serious damage to a human let alone a small budgie. It wouldn't bother them at all. If you've got 2 already then it certainly wouldn't drive them crazy to hear another bird. They wouldn't have anything to do with other birds if they were in the wild.
I used to keep Kakarikis with budgies (same cage), they got on extremely well and they're the most fun bird I've ever had anything to do with.
Worth a look, if you're in the market for a new parrot.
Thank you! I have been doing some research for the past couple of hours on Kakarikis! They seem like great pets, some articles contradict each other, so I thought I might ask you, since you had some! Are they affectionate towards their owners and like to spend time with them? I’ve seen a few things saying they like to jump around and won’t really sit with you for too long. That’s how my current parakeets are. I really miss my old one who loves to be with you. My new ones prefer to run around all day and hardly come over to see me, as expected. I’ve been doing research for a while now but just can’t decide. My father lovessss my birds and I know he would love one that would spend time with him as well. The budgies do spend time with my mom as well, they watch her work! I’m looking for a bit bigger of a bird that has a more social personality. I love budgies, but now that they have eachother they hardly play with me anymore! I love to see them happy though. To bring in a new budgie, it would be cruel to separate them for building a bond. They would hear eachother and it would be a mess. The parakeet who bonded with me was alone but he never seemed lonely. We had to get our new one a friend because he was obviously not happy. Now they are two peas in a pod. Anyways! Thank you! If you have anything I should know about kakarikis please let me know!

All birds have a better chance of bonding with you if they are single birds. But I also had one parakeet who was just not into people, so I get that yours was like that.

I've had friendly canaries, a lovebird, and parakeets, but always one at a time.

Thank you! I have been doing some research for the past couple of hours on Kakarikis! They seem like great pets, some articles contradict each other, so I thought I might ask you, since you had some! Are they affectionate towards their owners and like to spend time with them? I’ve seen a few things saying they like to jump around and won’t really sit with you for too long. That’s how my current parakeets are. I really miss my old one who loves to be with you. My new ones prefer to run around all day and hardly come over to see me, as expected. I’ve been doing research for a while now but just can’t decide. My father lovessss my birds and I know he would love one that would spend time with him as well. The budgies do spend time with my mom as well, they watch her work! I’m looking for a bit bigger of a bird that has a more social personality. I love budgies, but now that they have eachother they hardly play with me anymore! I love to see them happy though. To bring in a new budgie, it would be cruel to separate them for building a bond. They would hear eachother and it would be a mess. The parakeet who bonded with me was alone but he never seemed lonely. We had to get our new one a friend because he was obviously not happy. Now they are two peas in a pod. Anyways! Thank you! If you have anything I should know about kakarikis please let me know!
They're great birds.
They ideally do best in a large cage or aviary because they're so active. If you let them out the cage enough they should be ok though.
With most birds, if you have a pair they'll be less likely to show affection and enjoy company as they will have another bird with them all the time to communicate with ect.
I always prefer to have 2 birds in a cage though as they will get easily bored otherwise.

Kakarikis are definitely one of the most fun birds I have ever come across. They take food from you and and eat it out of their hands/feet. Very cute.
1629118555749.png

Even their noises they make are really nice lol. They can be noisy at times, not as much as a budgie though!!

These days there are quite a few different colour variations of the Kakariki. All are very beautiful!

They're great birds.
They ideally do best in a large cage or aviary because they're so active. If you let them out the cage enough they should be ok though.
With most birds, if you have a pair they'll be less likely to show affection and enjoy company as they will have another bird with them all the time to communicate with ect.
I always prefer to have 2 birds in a cage though as they will get easily bored otherwise.

Kakarikis are definitely one of the most fun birds I have ever come across. They take food from you and and eat it out of their hands/feet. Very cute.
View attachment 2800347
Even their noises they make are really nice lol. They can be noisy at times, not as much as a budgie though!!

These days there are quite a few different colour variations of the Kakariki. All are very beautiful!
Thank you! I'm very intrigued by these birds! Never heard of them! I'm a sucker for birds, so when I saw this conure at the shop the other I was in love. Sadly it was a petsmart so I didn't really want to go through. I've been looking for a bit bigger of a bird! Love my budgies but they love each other more. If I got one it would definitely be out a lot. I was curious are they okay with just sitting? While I'm at school my budgies sit with my mom while she works, when I come home they hang out and do homework. Whenever someone is over I always bring them out. Do they like to interact with you or explore? My dad loves my birds too and he could sit with them forever. He really wants them to talk and I was reading kakarikis can talk! They seem pretty cool all around! I think you also said they get along with budgies well? Are they gentle with them and will they want to be around them 24/7? I really want a bird who will bond to me since my keets are so bonded to eachother. Thanks!

They're great birds.

View attachment 2800347

They kind of have a look like princess parrots! I love their colors though, especially the pied

All birds have a better chance of bonding with you if they are single birds. But I also had one parakeet who was just not into people, so I get that yours was like that.

I've had friendly canaries, a lovebird, and parakeets, but always one at a time.
I had a single bird who passed who was so bonded to me. I got a new one and he seemed way to lonely. Brought him a parter and everything changed! Much happier! I had to accept he loved her more lol!!

Back
Top Bottom