Parakeets outside aviary over winter

410farmer

Chirping
Dec 10, 2019
So I’m taking the dive, my wife doesn’t want any mammal pets inside the house other then the dogs or cats. I’ve been doing research on this topic and it appears feral parakeets in the US are fairly prolific in some north eastern states(I’m in MD). 3 sides of my aviary is solid. I’m adding some insulation then covering it with these thick plastic sheets I get from my job. The front being wire so far I have half of the left side covered with plastic. Do y’all think I need to cover that whole left side, bottom of door and the bottom right side during the winter. I can always take the plastic back off during the summer. Any other things y’all think I should add. Heat lamps will only be used doing -0 degree weather

From my understanding they can tolerate temperatures down to the 40's but I don't believe they can survive long term. They are indigenous to Australia. That is if you are referring to budgerigar.

the parakeets your talking about are quakers and could be either illegal to own or you need a license to own so I would do research

I have known someone who quite successfully kept cockatiels in an unheated (but covered and totally draft free for the winter) in LI, NY.

Budgies are smaller and I wouldn't try it unless I could keep it above freezing temps.

I raise cockateils and diamond doves outside year-round.I poly their pen so there is no drafts but you don't want it to tight as mold will start to grow,so make sure there is a fresh air supply but not where they roost.i don't think a heat source is a good idea.If you supply heat they will not produce the down that keeps them warm.Dont cover your pen until it reaches around 35 degrees so they can produce the down,after they produce the down you can cover them.I am in N.H. and it does get into the teens and sometimes lower but no long term.Your birds will be much healthier if they can endore the winters outside.
In N.H.,Tony.

I raise cockateils and diamond doves outside year-round.I poly their pen so there is no drafts but you don't want it to tight as mold will start to grow,so make sure there is a fresh air supply but not where they roost.i don't think a heat source is a good idea.If you supply heat they will not produce the down that keeps them warm.Dont cover your pen until it reaches around 35 degrees so they can produce the down,after they produce the down you can cover them.I am in N.H. and it does get into the teens and sometimes lower but no long term.Your birds will be much healthier if they can endore the winters outside.
In N.H.,Tony.
What do you mean by cover? Tarp?
30FB5F35-C31E-422C-A32D-0C66EB0E5DC7.jpeg
A1911C75-76EB-4309-B27E-CAD49383EE5A.jpeg
EE5EF228-D5E3-483E-9138-86902DF7D578.jpeg

I use a concrete vapor barrier which is 10mils thick.I like your pen but I would cover the outside with wire as wood can rot from the inside and you won't even see it until there a piece missing.I would also put a slope to your roof so snow and rain doesn't like up on it.
In N.H.,Tony

I use a concrete vapor barrier which is 10mils thick.I like your pen but I would cover the outside with wire as wood can rot from the inside and you won't even see it until there a piece missing.I would also put a slope to your roof so snow and rain doesn't like up on it.
In N.H.,Tony
There’s a slight sloop to the roof but not enough for snow, I’ll have to look up the best way to do that. Adding wire is a good idea I’ll do that this weekend I have a lot of wire left over.

Back
Top Bottom