Paralized.....from the neck down.

Quote:
aww!...
sad.png
...i really hope everything works out!..this just sucks for you AND her.., take care, Wendy

If she could flap her wings, that says something, dont y'all think? I would try to get some pain killer into her while you're deciding. Not sure how to do the aspirin thing but, hopefully, somebody else can tell you.
fl.gif

Good Lord above!! She's so far from better but yall got to hear this.....

Last night before bed I gave her some chicken broth, and put tiny bits of bread and chicken in her mouth. She swallow fine, but I had to keep her head lifted for her because her only movement was still the head. She even acted a little hungry. But fully alert. My husband checked in on her and told me he would take care of the "deed". I agreed.

This morning I expected to find her dead. No, alert and seemed to have moved a little. I picked her up and noticed the poo was as if she stood in the night. Ummm. I helped her stand. She stood by herself with her head hung really low. She churped at me. Still asisting with her lower neck, I offered her water from a dropper. She was watching the dropper like it was a bug when I offered. She was so intent in the drinking from the dropper that I offered her a cup with some. She streached out her head and with small lifting motions drank water. Well, lets try food. I had some high protein feed I give my silkies and offered it....she pecked it and ate about a spoon full. Still asisting with her lower neck I then looked around and found the left overs from last nights Chinese food...so I offered her Lo main noodles (cut smaller) and rice. She pecked and ate about another spoon full. She was tired. I gave her clean paper towels under her and back in the box. Well, she is watching me now and churping to me. She still just lies in the box with her head outstreached but she is alive and showing progress. I can not for the life of me believe this.

Just for added information, there must have been increased blood flow to her head because of the damaged spinal cord. I thought it was my roo "Romeo" because none of the others hens at this age are so red around the waddle and comb area.....but I found the roo last night. I found that to be rather interesting.

I still cannot believe how she is recovering in just less than 24 hours. I must have been the crying, prayers, kissing and petting that my five year old daughter has done for her.

Well, since it's not my only BO roo "Romeo" I guess she is going to be named "Juliet". I still can't believe this...can't belive I didn't chop her head off either. Thanks for all your encouragements. Claudia

Last edited:
allaboutdemchicks
Many years ago dogs got ahold of one of my geese, I put him in a box in my kitchen and hand fed him, like your hen he couldn't move. Took about 2 weeks and he was almost like new! When it came to be that it was his turn to be dinner, we discovered his neck had been broken in 4 places and had healed like stair steps, which you couldn't see from the outside! Sometimes these birds are just amazing! Keep nursing your girl and good luck!

Claudia,

I am so happy for you and very surprised at how quickly your little hen is showing improvement! That is wonderful!
My little roo is still puttering around his box in little scooting motions and lifting his body in small amounts. I'm just lavishing all the attention I can on him and he seems to be responding well. My hopes are high but I think it may take a good deal of time.
Please keep us all posted on Juliet's progress and best of luck to you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Robin

It is absolutely amazing how resilient these birds are. Thank goodness you held in there for her. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom