Paralysed Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tariqjawed83, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tariqjawed83

tariqjawed83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Frisco, Texas
    I have few Barred Rocks in my flock around 11-12 weeks, one recently died after having breathing problems, her mouth was constantly open and she was breathing heavily; but she died in matter of 2-3 days.

Another of same age suddenly had one side of the head acting bad, she can't open her eyes from that side and not moving, eating and drinking anything; and her mouth was little twisted; by the way this one had twisted toes since she was little; but doing everything fine till now; I quickly separated her as I did previously, but since yesterday (after 3-4 days) she starting lying on the floor like dead, but her head still seems to move sometimes.

I'm afraid I've around 20 chickens in my backyard in very close proximity; since our backyard is not that big, and it is right next to the back door; are these deseases can harm us also? should we be worried about those?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    no, i do not think u have to worry about getting any diseases from them...most viruses are limited to who and what they can infect.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would quickly treat them for coccidiosis. The heavy breathing could have been pain. You don't need to see blood. But coccidiosis is the most likely.

4. tariqjawed83

tariqjawed83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Frisco, Texas
    Thanks guys, she died in 2-3 days, two birds of same breed, seems like Barred Rocks does not get settled in our coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by