Paralyzed hens

It's not conclusive yet, but the vet is pretty sure it's Marek's. They are going to do a pathology test on Hollie's body and it will be several days before I hear anything. In the meantime I'm having to force feed Hallie and worry about my other 3 hens. This sooo sucks!!

Leadwolf, how many chickens do you have? I know if I lose all these, I'll never have anymore. I can't for at least 7 years anyways and then I doubt it.

That's the sad part about this disease. I have lost 20 chickens so far. If you can keep them stress free, I was told by a very knowledgeable chicken vet that they can remain disease/symptom free. I have lost over half of my chickens. I have two of my favorites right now that are sick and I don't think that they will make it. I just keep trying with everything that I have to keep the rest healthy.

I really hope that it isn't Marek's. However, if it is, all is not lost. Clean and disinfect then purchase vaccinated chicks. Keep them separated from the rest for as long as you can, at least two weeks to build immunity. Don't give up on chickens, with vaccination and knowledge, I'm hoping that this disease will be a thing of the past!

How do you disinfect wood, your ground, your yard? Anything that these 2 have come in contact with? And how much Probiotics, Vit E and Poly Vi Sol do you use?

Last edited:
You are right, it is almost impossible to disinfect ground...some say they spray everything with a bleach solution. I didn't try to disinfect the ground. However, I bleach everything. From the top of the coop on down, every two weeks. I use a bleach and soap solution. After that dries, I spray everything with oxine. I bleach feeders and waterers, nest boxes, everything! I even feed treats on plates that can be bleached and then dishwashed. In between cleanings, I spray everything down 2 -3 times per week with oxine. I only wear certain shoes outside and leave them at the door.

I crush 3 - 4 probiotic tablets and mix them in with oatmeal and scratch every morning. I make sure that they all get electrolyte/vitamin solution at least two days per week. That is for the asymptomatic ones.

For the ones showing symptoms:

.5 mls poly vi sol daily
400 iu's vitamin E twice daily
fresh meal worms, at least 10 per day...if they can still eat. If not, flock raiser mash with yogurt plus a probiotic tablet crushed. I mix the vitamins in and hand feed if necessary
hypericum 30 solution 5 -10 drops twice daily

I handfed twice per day making sure that crops are nice and full. If necessary, I feed more often.
I do physical therapy twice per day on the legs or any other affected limbs.

The most important thing is to keep them as stress free as possible. I keep heat lamps on them so that the coops never go below freezing. No food changes...everything stays the same. Plenty of fresh veggies/fruits and food/water.

It is time consuming but if I can just save one, I might be able to help someone save theirs also. I did buy and innoculate everyone that hadn't been done at the hatchery/breeder. I didn't care how old...I just did it. All I read said that won't hurt and it just might help.

If you want to know anything else, just ask. There are several of us in the same boat....

Sounds like Marecks.

I come here and read these boards from time to time.....and always it breaks my heart. I raise chickens n quail in large quantities, but there is always a few try as you might that will still your heart. And sure enough I can GUAAARAANTEEE that if you name that or call that one a favorite or say Im going to show THAT ONE...it will die or be picked off by a predator.

My advice...keep in mind at all times that they are CHICKENS/livestock, NOT pets-even tho they can feel that way.
DONT EVER NAME them. NEVER EVER EVER NAME THEM!
OMG please dont let them live in the house...chickens do not belong in houses or diapers..ACK! (Ive seen people doing this and it scares me)
Chickens are not worth a vet bill UNLESS you have top of the line show stock-dont waste your money-you can treat most everything at home and somethings are best left to mother nature with a little help from us, buy anything you need at the feedstore or on the web but dont kill them with kindness, let them rest undisturbed and away from kids, dogs, noise, etc.
If you are having an outbreak of something...then it may be time to get your ag person out to test...and prepare to cull and depopulate.

I love all animals...but sometimes this website is so heartbreaking...and disturbing (kitch table surgiers on live chickes :( )
Remember, they are LIVESTOCK, they have very tiny brains thank goodness and are related to dinosaurs. If you look at them that way, it still hurts, but not as much.

I hope the rest of your chickens are ok! Trust me, try as you might not to, you will get a new favorite! :) I am sorry for you loss...all this being said...I just had my FAVORITE that I called 'UH OH' (yes I break my own rules all the time) ;) get ripped in half by some maurader.....I still miss that stupid chicken always being the first to greet me. BUT SHE WAS JUST A CHICKEN :)

I agree that it sounds like Marek's, and I have been there. I have lost more than a few chickens to what I suspect is Marek's but I had necropsies done on 2 and the lab said Marek's as well.

Now for the good news, that was 2 years ago and I haven't lost anymore. My chickens were not vaccinated when I got them, came from a great breeder but they got it anyways. What I did was vaccinate all my remaining birds. First State Vet Supply has an article that suggests vaccinating birds that might have been exposed as well as those that aren't. Any new birds that I buy I get vaccinated. But I have chicks that are hatched out here by a broody that have not been vaccinated and they have been fine.

It might be the end of the road for the chickens you have, but does not have to be the end of you owning chickens. I hope they pull through for you, and that no more get sick. Good luck, but don't give up.

Thank you , babs for that article. It was very informing. http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/17/37/

CHIRP I TOTALLY disagree with you that chickens should not be considered pets or that their lives are any less important then that REGISTER high mucky-muck WHATEVER!!

SO does everyone agree that Marek's stems from the breeder. That if know they are selling infected chicks that they should be stopped?!!?

Last edited:
Trust me, it does not always come from the breeder. I started out with 9 bantams from a fabulous chicken breeder that babies her chickens beyond belief and does not vaccinate so nothing is hiding. She loves her chickens as if they are her real babies. She is the kindest and most wonderful chicken breeder I ever met.

There were no chickens on my property, it was empty land before we moved in. No chickens within 1/4 mile of my house. No one visiting that raised chickens. So where did it come from? No way to know. I lost 6 of the 9 to Mareks'. BTW, only one had the eye version of it.

Should a breeder be stopped if the KNOW they have Marek's? Yes they should. Should a breeder tell you if they vaccinate, yes they should. But are breeders the only way it enters a flock? No it isn't.

I am fighting fowl pox right now, Marek's may kill them, but I lost 4 this week to pox. I am not sure which is worse.

Hope your chickens are doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom