Paranoid about pasty butt

Katoo1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Saint Augustine, FL
I have had my chicks 4 days. There has been NO sign of pasty butt, but I am still doing a twice a day butt inspection. The girls do not like it at all. When is it safe to let go of that particular worry?

I have 4 buff orps. They are active and eating and drinking and pooping. There was a sluggish runt at first but now she's caught up and I can't pick her out anymore.

I'm really worried about cleaning a pasty butt, because the other day, one of the babies got a bit of poo on her wing and it was like superglued on. I'm thinking, wow, I bet that's really hard to clean off of a butt without hurting.

"Twice a day butt inspection..." LOL Oh my word, that's funny stuff.
lau.gif
I don't know a lot about pasty butt, so I can't answer your questions, but did you ever see the episode of Dirty Jobs when Mike was at McMurray Hatchery? They squeezed the poop right out of those chicks. I don't know if that is the acceptable way of doing it, but it was mildly amusing (mostly because they said it didn't hurt them
idunno.gif
). Hope someone has an answer for you.

So silly.....if you just look at their behinds, and you don't see any poo stuck.....you're in the clear! You don't even need to pick them up to inspect......
wink.png

I find that usually after the first week, you don't need to worry about pasty butt anymore.

Ok yes, I'm a silly new chick mommy. Butt I keep reading how it can kill the wee babies, and I wanted to catch it early before I had to remove a superglued mess.

Back
Top Bottom