Parasitic infection

bohok

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2016
So, I’m fairly certain some newer hens I bought a few months ago were infected with worms. 🤬 I didn’t realize it til now when we saw some in one’s poop. But it explains a few things I’ve noticed about them and how they differ health-wise from the rest of my flock.

Ugh. I know this is normal experience for chicken owners but I am frustrated and embarrassed, I work so hard to keep my birds healthy.

Of course now I need to treat the whole flock. I am fairly certain they are either cecal worms or capillary worms. Pic below

What’s the protocol for those? And the egg withdrawal time for meds? I always prefer natural solutions but parasites scare me more than meds do. Can those worms end up in eggs, should he be throwing away the eggs we have stored up?

But just as importantly, can I treat my yard and run with anything to kill worms and eggs that may have been deposited there? I have kids and I won’t be able to keep them from being barefoot out there all summer, but I’d like to keep them safe from any worm eggs.

IMG_2502.jpeg

It's normal, don't worry. 90% of chickens have worms.
Don't worry about the yard, the sun will kill things.
There's no effecive 'natural' solution, as yet. 'Natural being safe' is bogus theory at best.
You can get Valbazen (for goats) and give it orally to each chicken 1/2ml (5lb bird) using a syringe without a needle or mix it into a bread ball.
Repeat dosing in 10 days.

It's normal, don't worry. 90% of chickens have worms.
Don't worry about the yard, the sun will kill things.
There's no effecive 'natural' solution, as yet. 'Natural being safe' is bogus theory at best.
You can get Valbazen (for goats) and give it orally to each chicken 1/2ml (5lb bird) using a syringe without a needle or mix it into a bread ball.
Repeat dosing in 10 days.
Thanks. Is there an egg withdrawal time for that?

Back
Top Bottom