Parrot like beak on 4 week old cockerel

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
Is this genetic or something else? These are hatchery Welsummers. Any thoughts or opinions welcomed. I only ended up with 2 cockerels out of 7 straight run Welsummers. Not bad! I have to choose which one to keep and which will go to freezer camp. The boy with the hooky beak is more friendly and the normal looking boy is standoffish. I am leaning twards keeping the bow with the normal beak just to be safe and not pass on any weird genetics. Another thing I have to consider is the hooky beak dude is bigger and has always been the "top dog" of my brood.

Normal guy

Sorry its not better but you get the idea.

Looks like it just needs a little trim/file to me. Beaks are like fingernails, they grow and grow and grow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102146/trimming-chicken-beaks
Good link, thank you! I guess it was just odd to me to see it so long compared to the others. I have had close to 30+ chickens and various chicks through my coop in the last 4years not including roosters and none have needed their beaks trimmed.

So I guess this is neither a good thing nor a bad thing? This may put him back in the running for the open "head rooster" position.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom