Parrot questions

Although others have answered all your questions I'll add to this a bit:
For a beginner I'd reccomend budgies/parakeets or conures. They are small, not as loud (though still very loud as all parrots are) and have great personalities. I think having two parrots is best, but many have single parrots that are perfectly happy as they have the time to dedicate to them. If you can, I think it is best to find a parrot rescue or someone who is rehoming their bird rather than supporting breeding, because there are already too many homeless birds out there. Taming birds is all about gaining their trust. Get them used to you by talking to or reading to them (my parakeet LOVED being read to) and handfeeding them. Understand that parrots are a huge investment from proper cages, special diet (a healthy diet for a parrot is fresh fruits, vegetables, high quality pellets, etc and not just seeds), vet bills and more. Having a parrot is like having a toddler from anywhere between 10 and 80 years.

Thank you mentioning the cost side. People need to understand that owning a parrot is very costly in time and money. I'd also definitely encourage people to try and re-home a parrot.

If you are to get a parrot, I agree that budgies are probably a good one to keep as their small size make for a quieter scream and an easier bite, though they do still bite and scream, there's no such thing as a parrot that doesn't :)

Come to Australia. Around here we get wild sulpher-crested cockatoos, galahs, corellas, yellow-tailed black cockatoos, red rumped parrots, Australian ringnecks, rainbow lorikeets, scaly-breasted lorikeets, to name a few :D
That sounds amazing! The best I see here are probably blue Jays. Beautiful, but they don't compare to parrots.

Back
Top Bottom