Part time broody... is this normal?

SleepyOwl

Songster
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
MN
I have 4 bantam cochins that are a year old. The first three went broody, and when they went broody, there was no arguing with them. This last one is different. For the last couple weeks she will sit for a few hours, even half a day, then get up and let her eggs get cold, and roost at night, ect. Her chest is as bare as can be, and when she sits, she makes the nest nice around her, pulls in the eggs, ect. Then she walks away. It is so strange.

I was hoping she would commit and incubate some eggs for me. I am doubting that will happen now. Then I thought I could give her chicks, but I am worried that if she can't commit to a nest, she won't commit to mothering either.

Anyway, is this something she might get over, or is she just not meant for motherhood? Or is she trying to build up enough eggs to sit on? (She is still laying.) I am leaving a couple eggs in the nest every day, hoping she will get the point. lol

I have 4 bantam cochins that are a year old.  The first three went broody, and when they went broody, there was no arguing with them.   This last one is different.  For the last couple weeks she will sit for a few hours, even half a day, then get up and let her eggs get cold, and roost at night, ect.   Her chest is as bare as can be, and when she sits, she makes the nest nice around her, pulls in the eggs, ect.   Then she walks away.   It is so strange. 

I was hoping she would commit and incubate some eggs for me.  I am doubting that will happen now.  Then I thought I could give her chicks, but I am worried that if she can't commit to a nest, she won't commit to mothering either.

Anyway, is this something she might get over, or is she just not meant for motherhood?   Or is she trying to build up enough eggs to sit on?  (She is still laying.)   I am leaving a couple eggs in the nest every day, hoping she will get the point.  lol

I would close her up by herself and let her stay on the eggs to just make sure.

She did finally sit still, and now has two chicks that hatched a few days ago. (She hatched one, and one from the incubator.)
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom