Parted with the last of my birds today...predators wouldn't stop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goddinfla, Sep 5, 2008.

1. goddinfla

goddinfla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Yesterday I took my last 3 chickens and 1 guinea to a lady in another town. Some people bought my peafowl yesterday and came today and got my geese. I had a bobcat problem. That seemed to settle down. That left a vacuum that was filled by a bunch of raccoons. I couldn't stand to see another bird disappear. They got 4 2 week old chicks through a cage with half inch mesh. That was it. I had to get the rest out of harms way. I already miss them, and all the ones that disappeared.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm really sorry. Hadn't seen you around in awhile so that's what's been going on, huh? Gee, I dont know what to say except that I know how I would feel if I had to part with my Girls and Guys. Maybe you can have chickens again some day.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can find a new way to predator-proof that will allow you to have more in the future.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry. That must have been hard. Very big-hearted of you to do the best for your flock. Hope you can get chickens again someday.

5. vixchix

vixchix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Illinois
    I can't imagine how difficult that situation would be. I'm so very sorry for your many losses. You did the right thing for the rest of the birds--not the EASY thing, but the right thing. Maybe that will bring you some peace of mind.

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Gosh, that's really rough......one thing after another..........I'm so sorry, but think you did the brave, right thing.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Darn...you did the right thing...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by