Partially blind cockerel won’t leave coop

victoriswinford

Hatching
Jun 24, 2023
We had a massive hail storm with a tornado. My chickens huddled and I don’t know how but managed to survive it! Patch Adams, my 11 week old cockerel is now partially blind in one eye. We think he was hit by debris from the storm. Since the storm he refuses to leave the chicken coop. Another rooster stays in with him (I’m not sure if they are buddies or if the other one is mean to him). But, I bring them food and water. They drink and eat out of my hand. Anytime I try to bring him outside he will attach right to my leg or jump into my arms. Any advice on how to help him. He’s very sweet and I’m afraid he’s going to starve or die from dehydration. We have very hot summers here (triple digits).

Smaller area maybe with like water and food really close easy for access?
Second this. Sounds like he could benefit from a stint in chicken hospital, or maybe even crated near his flock somewhere cooler with constant food and water access. You can tarp his enclosure or cover it to keep him feeling pretty secure and then remove it gradually. I use wire dog crates for purposes like this.

Is his eye looking ok? Any swelling or oozing going on that might indicate it needs treatment?

Hope he feels better very soon!

Second this. Sounds like he could benefit from a stint in chicken hospital, or maybe even crated near his flock somewhere cooler with constant food and water access. You can tarp his enclosure or cover it to keep him feeling pretty secure and then remove it gradually. I use wire dog crates for purposes like this.

Is his eye looking ok? Any swelling or oozing going on that might indicate it needs treatment?

Hope he feels better very soon!
No oozing thankfully. I check on it a few times a day and also put vet-rx in his water. The smaller area is a good idea! I’ll give it a try tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom